May 2023 Moms
Options

Randoms w/o 10/31

Re: Randoms w/o 10/31

• Options
    Happy Halloween!!!
  • Options
    I ordered a shirt for my son and a onesie for the baby to do pics for our announcement this weekend and it looks like neither one will be here on time 😩
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I proposed a monthly randoms thread and posted a weekly one out of habit :lol: Whoops!

Trick-or-treat went well last night: we had really nice weather, DD was so excited the whole time, and a lot of people in our neighborhood participated. The downside is that I thought my mom, MIL, and sister were going to come with us to just a few houses...and they followed us around for the entire hour-plus route. Chatting, complaining, screaming at DD to "SAY THANK YOU", waving around a ghost flashlight...I tried to block it out when I could. DH and I had another difficult conversation last night about setting boundaries with our families: because they live so close, they are here for EVERYTHING and we barely get to enjoy things as a household. Sometimes they just invite themselves to things, and last night my mom tried to invite herself over a half-hour earlier than I told her to arrive--I caught what she was saying in her text message and told her no. DH and I came to the conclusion that our kids come first, and we need to be our best selves when we show up for them: which sometimes means we have to tell the grandparents (and tagalong aunts) to stay home. I'm sure we'll get a lecture about "this is why we moved close to you" and "we're missing out on so much" but I don't care. Lately it feels like we're just here for their entertainment.
  • Options
    @hestia-is-wearie this is so hard and something we struggle with too. My mom lives 5 doors down from us, which is really amazing most of the time, but also really hard sometimes. She doesn't drop by unannounced, but I do sometimes feel like our kids are little trophies she wants to show off to her friends. Which I think comes from a place of love and pride, but still feels icky. MH's parents are another issue all together, but luckily they live very far away and rarely visit.
  • Options
    megh061816megh061816 member
    edited November 2022
    I wish us and our kids had something even remotely close to that. It may seem annoying but please remember to count your blessings!! Family is precious. 
  • Options
    I’m so excited that I’m pregnant and baby is doing well (heard the heartbeat today!!) but how the heck do women do this all the time? I’m still nauseous every day. If I don’t puke at all it’s a realllllyyyyy good day. Women were made to carry babies and give birth- but damn it’s hard!! And before all the tech and medicines that we have now- how did women survive being nauseous so much and caring for their family? Every day I hope I’m done with the nausea club.
  • Options
    maelovemaelove member
    edited November 2022
    @hestia-is-wearie I’m sure you are glad they are around overall- but I completely understand where you are coming from. There are ups and downs to all situations and extended family can be a complicated dynamic to navigate. Glad you are setting boundaries for yourself because it’s healthy and your kids will in turn learn that is ok to do so. Also you always have to put you, your spouse and kids first and that is ok! You can’t please everyone all the time- your unit > every one else. 

ETA what I originally came here to post but got sidetracked haha- anyone with a little baby bump yet!? This is my 4th kid and 3rd pregnancy so i get that I will show earlier but I’m 12w5d and By the end of the day it’s pretty obvious. Def won’t be able to keep this a secret much longer! 
  • Options
    @maelove I’m pretty fluffy anyway but I’m definitely able to tell by the end of the day. Second pregnancy for me.  Another reason I can’t wait to let the secret out at school next week- they’ll start calling me out any time now! 
  • Options
    @maelove Me too! I started showing for real last week (couldn't suck in the belly anymore). I'm short and somewhat thin, so it looks pretty obvious. Everyone I've told lately has said something like, "I figured you were!" :D 
  • Options
    @maelove same here. 5th pregnancy, 4th child. In the morning I just look a little bloated but by the end of the day I can't suck it in anymore. 
  • Options
    @maelove yup, also starting to have a little bump that I can make disappear. It's way earlier than my first, where I'm pretty sure it was more like 17 weeks before I started showing. I'm only like 13 weeks now... I wanted that extra month of pants fitting... Haha 
  • Options
    Appointment was great today! She confirmed today that she wants me to deliver at 39 weeks because of high blood pressure last time, so this might be an April baby after all! Still gonna stay here though, because they’re not inducing on a Saturday I’m guessing. So we’ll probably squeak by on May 1! 🤣
  • Options
    cait32 said:
    I fell asleep without my unisom and b6 last night and *fingers crossed* so far I don’t feel terrible today. There’s a hint of nausea but not terrible. And I got a long night of sleep so I actually feel less zombie-like. I was 12w yesterday…maaaaaybe I’m inching toward feeling better??!!
    For those taking unisom (or Benadryl) as a sleep aid, how frequently are you taking it? Daily? Every other day? Only when desperate? 
  • Options
    @radioactivet I do pretty much the same as @cait32 - daily just for nausea through first tri with b6!
  • Options
    @radioactivet I just started taking unisom every night as a sleep aid on maybe Wednesday of last week? So far I’ve taken it daily, but my sleep was an absolute train wreck. I could fall asleep fine but after about 2 hours, I was awake. For hours. And hours.

I’m planning to take it a couple more nights and then see how I do without it for a few nights. My doctor said I could take it every night but I have always been such a good sleeper that becoming a sleeping pill girly just makes me feel some kind of way.