Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Cry it out

My 5 week old is hard to put to sleep at night and will wake up frequently crying. My husband would like to let him cry it out but I’ve explained it’s too soon for that. Am I right or can you try letting your baby cry?

Re: Cry it out

• Options
    Way too soon. Four months is typically accepted amongst sleep experts as the youngest age to try CIO. A five week old cannot self soothe and needs you to do this for him. What you can do now is ensure a familiar bedtime routine, provide a dark room with white noise, and swaddling. It does get better. 
  • Options
    Too young. Make sure he eats enough during the day and it’s pretty normal for them to wake up throughout the night when they’re little. I would talk with his doctor and see if they think it sounds developmentally normal. True CIO is stressful for the baby especially at only 5 weeks old. You can always wait a few min before tending to them to see if they’ll fall back asleep. Sometimes they cry in their sleep. But if he’s truly waking up and crying and won’t settle then you’ll have to comfort or feed him. They don’t know how to link their sleep cycles yet. Everyone wakes up throughout the night, adults are just good and not fully waking.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    As others said, not until 4 months, and then only as a part of a systematic sleep training process. We used the Ferber method.