2nd Trimester
Options

Gestational Diabetes

I took my 1hr test yesterday and failed. I got 205, normal range is <=135. I am yet to talk to my doctor. Want to check with group on their experience. I am bit nervous and anxious.

Re: Gestational Diabetes

• Options
    That is pretty high. Did you eat something sugary/carby before hand? Usually what will happen is they will send you for the 3 hour test which is a fasting test. Usually this test is done at 28 weeks, did they do it early?
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    I am 24 weeks now. I had some rice before night.
    Test was in the morning so I didn’t eat anything, they gave me glucose water and waited for 1 hr, then took the blood.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If I were you, I would mentally prepare myself for a GD diagnosis. That is a pretty high 1hr sugar number. While GD can be scary it is not your fault and it can be managed with diet and/or medication to reduce most of the risks. The next step will be for you to talk to your doctor.
  • Options
    Thanks I started getting on diet today and walks after every meal. Hopefully I can control it with diet. This was shocking as I don’t have any previous history and was not expecting or prepared for it.
  • Options
    Family or personal history is only part of it. It’s how your hormones mess with how your body processes insulin. It can be shocking and take some of the fun out of pregnancy, but once it’s under control you can kind of relax. No one bad number will mean an increased risk for you or baby, but having mostly good numbers will make a huge difference.
  • Options
    Thanks for the kind response