Babies on the Brain

Anyone else in the "if it happens, it happens" mind set?

My husband and I just recently decided it would be okay for me to go off the pill and if it's meant to happen, it will. I kind of feel like I don't fit in on the TTC boards because I don't plan on actively tracking ovulation or any of those things, just keeping it easy going and natural for now. So, I'm just wondering if I'm not the only one on here who feels that way? Or, if that's maybe how you ended up pregnant previously, how long before you stopped using protection did you end up pregnant? What was your general experience?

Re: Anyone else in the "if it happens, it happens" mind set?

• edited June 2022
    I feel like I wrote this post. I fall in this boat, which I know is different than most everyone on this site (and I am very sensitive to that). I'll preface by saying I'll be 39 this summer, so the "clock" isn't really on my side. My husband and I have been together for almost 18 years.
    We decided to go off the pill in January (after 21 years on!) and if I got pregnant, we would embrace the idea of being parents and feel that it's meant to be. I was a big supporter of adoption, if bio didn't happen. So yeah - 3 weeks later I had a positive pregnancy test. To say we were shocked is putting it lightly. 
    Here we are, 16 weeks along and trying to enjoy all parts of the process. I will say, I never forget that many couples desperately want children and have had many disappointments and pain along the way. We are still kind of shocked but do feel blessed. 
    Best of luck in your journey and may you get what you both want. <3 
  • First of all, congrats!! <3 I hope everything goes well! Secondly, I'm glad I'm not the only one out there who feels this way. Thank you for sharing :)
  • Loading the player...
  • My husband and I have always had the "if it happens, it happens" mindset. We haven't used protection since we were teenagers. We've been together for 16 years and had our 1st pregnancy happen this past January. Unfortunately, I did not carry full term and we lost our baby. However, after that experience, we realized how much we actually wanted to have a child so we then began trying and tracking. I'm currently 8w and we are so excited. 😊
  • Hi! I feel like I wrote your post myself with a few differences. Me and mt guy decided to go off the pill the beginning of September after having been on it for a little of 20 years. We are both 38. I fear what if I have already missed my opportunity to become a mom!? I started my period yesterday, so it didn't happen for us this time. I guess I'm just nervous because having been on the pill for so long I really have no clue about my cycle lol. Ugh. I hope it happens for us sooner rather than later! I don't want to have to chart or anything, but will if I have to lol
  • edited February 11
    That was generally my husband and my mentality. That is why I am 43 and expecting our first (and only). We were trying a little harder in recent months (making a special effort to do the deed around when I estimated I'd be ovulating). It's still very early and might not stick, but then again, it might! 

I think the strength of the way our group thinks about things is that, no matter what, we know we are going to have full, meaningful and happy lives. Also it's scary either way as well! 😄
  • I just want to say my aunt had two sets of kids. One from marriage 1 and the second from marriage 2 with about 15-20 years between them. She said she was much happier with how she felt the second time around when she was 43! Congrats to you!