3rd Trimester
Options

Calculating conception

selenas1997selenas1997 Newbie
edited September 2022 in 3rd Trimester
Hello, I’m actually currently pregnant. In my 3rd trimester. And Im struggling with the conception dates.

I had a period in November 7th to 13th

A period in December from the 10 to 16,

sex in December on the 17 and 23rd.

No period in January.

Sex on January 24th and 25th

Negative test February 5th

Positive test February 11th

An ultrasound February 22nd to confirm pregnancy and was dated at 5 weeks and 5 days.

An ultrasound March 15th and was dated 8 weeks and 4 days.

At 33 weeks I was told my baby is measuring 3 weeks ahead.

My fundal height has been very close every appointment though. Measuring right on track.

So which day do you likely think I conceived? In December or January?

Update/ at my 36 week check up I was told baby is measuring 41 weeks. A 2nd glucose test was done last week and I’m prediabetic.

I’m worried because at 36 weeks they mentioned baby’s lungs are not strong, but they think because she’s so big I will deliver sooner. Do you think it’s possible she’s an older gestational age? Doctor said because we measured baby so early (5w and 5d) that my due date is most definitely accurate. My fundal height today was 41 weeks. I’m very worried about delivering such a large baby if I wait longer, but also worried about delivering before she’s ready.

Re: Calculating conception

• Options
    Early ultrasounds are much more accurate compared to 3rd trimester ultrasounds. Baby may just be in a higher percentile. You should discuss your concerns with your doctor.
    *TW* History:
    Me: 34 DH: 36 | Together since 2007 | Married July 2016

TTC #1 since 7.2017
    Dx: low morph (1%), ANA positive, low decidualization score, high TSH and testosterone, histone antibodies

IUI #1-3 all BFN
    IVF #1 | 6.11.19 | 24R, 17M, 15F, 6B, PGT-A tested - 5 normal, 3 girls & 2 boys
    FET #1 | 9.10.19 | BFN "I know you, but we've never met. I'm with you, but I don't know your name"
    RPL, Receptiva, & ERA testing | all normal/negative, recommended going on gluten and dairy free diet for next FET
    FET #2 | 3.31.20 | Opted to cancelled due to pandemic, continued diet and tried naturally over the summer
    2nd Opinion with another RE | 8.20.20 | Not immune to measles (received 1 dose); SA results similar to 2 years ago; decided to move forward with FET #2 redo at start of next cycle
    Surprise natural BFP! | 9.22.20 | MC 10.23.20 at 8 weeks
    TTCAL naturally | starting 11.22.20

Initial consultation with Reproductive Immunologist | 9.14.21
    Decidualization score biopsy | 10.1.21 | abnormal - low score of 1; endometrial scratch recommended and progesterone supplementation
    Saline sono | 10.15.21 | normal
    Bloodwork | 10.21.21 high TSH, high testosterone, positive for anti-nuclear antibodies and histone antibodies, high protein S, multiple genetic mutations
    BFP! | 11.3.21 | EDD 7.14.22 B) | biopsy provided same effect as endometrial scratch; added supplemental progesterone and estrogen, prednisone, levothyroxine, and MTX Support to maintain pregnancy
    DS born 7.19.22 after induction

TTC #2 begins 6.2023
    Consultation with RI | 6.6.23
    Saline sono, endometritis biopsy, skin & eye check | all normal
    Labs | high TSH, Factor XIII mutation, high %CD56
    Follow up | 8.8.23 | prescribed metformin, prednisone, plaquenil, and levothyroxine
    Repeat labs after 3 weeks on meds
    Follow up | 11.9.23 | Green light!, increase in prednisone, added lovenox
    Repeat labs in 8 weeks
    Follow up | 1.16.24 | Green light continues
    TTC put on pause
  • Options
    Your doc is right. The earliest measurements have less margin of error and are most accurate for dating. If you conceived in December your pregnancy test on Feb 5th would have most definitely been positive. You probably just have a large for gestational age baby. Keep in mind that later ultrasounds can be off by whole pounds. But if they are concerned you need some intervention, they will let you know. Babies born at 36+ weeks do well in general. It’s not ideal and it’s scary, but not worst case scenario. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    At 33 weeks you were told the baby was measuring ahead based on what? Since your fundal height is right on. 

U/S estimates of baby size at late stages are crap, and I think it’s criminal how much doctors rely on them these days and use them to scare women into interventions that often are not necessary. 

Here is a link to the ACOG’s guidance on suspected large babies. Unfortunately, it is no longer available without paying for it (boo, this sort of thing should be available), but here is the link anyway, and my summary from a prior post when I was able to view it. Please especially note the second point.

https://journals.lww.com/greenjournal/Fulltext/2020/01000/Macrosomia__ACOG_Practice_Bulletin,_Number_216.50.aspx

-If a provider tells you your baby is estimated at greater than 9 pounds, 15 ounces, that estimation is wrong more than half the time (first paragraph under "Diagnosis.") 
    -A physical exam (aka - feeling your belly and measuring fundal height) is about as accurate as ultrasound (last paragraph under "Diagnosis.")
    -Suspected macrosomia is not a reason to induce prior to 39 weeks (under the question that starts "is there a role for induction of labor..."). 
    -A planned c-section due to suspected macrosomia is controversial, and generally isn't recommended unless the baby is estimated at more than 11 pounds. Even then, it should be a discussion between the woman and her provider, including noting that ultrasound estimation is notoriously wrong (and, as referenced above, that it's wrong more than half the time at this weight) (under the question that starts "when should scheduled cesarean birth...") 
    -A suspected big baby is not a reason to skip attempting a VBAC and going straight to a c-section (under the question that starts "is suspected macrosomia a contraindication...")