3rd Trimester

Positive induction story

I’m a ftm and I wanted to post my very positive induction story since everywhere I looked online people had scary things to say about being induced, getting an epidural, etc. I thought this might help some of you ladies in your birth planning or those who have to get induced and are scared. 

I was induced at 39 weeks due to a rare medical reason (have a reproductive deformity that required additional stitching after birth). My doctor didn’t want me to really go past 40 weeks so we decided to induce at 39! 

They gave me three rounds of cytotec. From what I remember it was every 4 hours they gave me a dose. Right before the third round I decided it was time for an epidural. Even my doctor was like, yeah it’s time. Lol 
My plan was to go as long as I could without pain meds but I’m not against them. I was starting to have some serious back labor. At the time I was only 3cm dilated. 

They gave me the epidural, which was a peace of cake having it put in. I did feel a burning down my leg a few times, the anesthesiologist had to reposition the needle a few times. Once it was in I felt great! I could still move my right leg and sort of my left. I could still feel my legs and I could feel my contractions, but I didnt feel any pain! 

I then got pitocin to really start labor. After about three hours I was at 10cm (doctor was pretty amazed at how fast I dilated) and it was time to push! I pushed for 1 hour, it goes by super fast. Then finally baby came out! I could still feel myself pushing but no pain. I did feel a slight burning (like barely anything) when baby was crowning.

I did get a second degree tear to the side and I needed internal stitches due to my condition. But overall very positive experience.

In total I was at the hospital for 17 hours from checking in to birth. I was only in active labor for about 5 hours. 

Im currently 3 week post partum, all my stitches have healed, and I feel like I was never even pregnant at this point. Baby is doing great as well and she had no issues after birth! 

I would 100% do an induction again as it wasn’t a bad experience at all. :) 

Re: Positive induction story

• That’s wonderful and congratulations!! Thank you for sharing your story :)
  • Thank-you 😊 💕 💓 ☺ for sharing. This makes me feel less anxious about the whole experience. Congratulations 🎊. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I’ve also been induced with Pitocin with both my daughters and both my labor experiences were amazing. I’m pregnant with my 3rd and currently planning another induction. 
  • edited September 2022
    I am so glad to read these stories, as I had negative biases to overcome. This may be the case for me at 38/39 weeks. My history of extreme hypertension and "advanced age" (39, rolls eyes) are reasons for the decision. I am quite insistent on a vaginal birth but an induction may be necessary to make that safely happen. Mainly, if pre-eclampsia rears its ugly head.