May 2022 Moms
Options

Starting Food Thread

Hi! Our babies are about to be four months old and some of us may be starting solids pretty soon! I know this sub is kinda dead right now, but I like having somewhere to ask questions anyway.  

Re: Starting Food Thread

• Options
    I had so much anxiety about this with my first. Hopefully this time is better 😅
  • Options
    @b_1029 I have tons of anxiety about it! The pediatrician had us add cereal to his bottle about two months ago and suggested starting solids at four months to facilitate continued growth. I really wanted to wait six months to try baby-led weaning, but I’ve long since stopped stressing over things not going as planned. 

We want to make his food because of the baby food and heavy metals stuff going on. 

Does anyone have any tips? Should I be stressing about the heavy metals or do you think pre-prepared baby food is worth the risk?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @taylorharris0522 I haven’t done a ton of research on homemade stuff but my understanding is there will be trace amounts of metals in that too, it has to do with the soil and such. I would not stress too heavily about it but that’s just my opinion :) I tried to do BLW with my first and was too anxious every time she gagged so we switched to purées and she did fine. We will see what happens with this one!
  • Options
    @taylorharris0522  @b_1029 is right...the heavy metals are in the soil, so making yourself isn't going to really help..unless you're growing the food in your backyard. The best thing you can do if you want to avoid that, is to minimize the foods that have high content (you can Google it, I just know rice off the top of my head ), and give a variety!