Weekly check ins - September 19

EDD / Weeks + Days: 

Baby is the size of a(n):

Team blue/pink/green:

Upcoming Appointments: 

How are you feeling?: 

Rants/Raves: 

Questions:

GTKY: What is is the strangest food that you like to eat (maybe because other people find it odd, or just because it's a weird food)? 

Re: Weekly check ins - September 19

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @fertile-turtle that's a super interesting sounding strange food. Lol are you part Dutch? I was curious what culture stuffs pig stomach but I'm assuming Dutch? 

@karbaud that sounds incredibly delicious 😋
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    @seeds_of_joy An incredibly frugal culture stuffs pigs stomachs 😂.

It’s a misunderstanding of Deutsch, so it’s actually German-American. It comes from German immigrants during the 1700s calling themselves Deutsch, and it became its own culture and language thanks to early isolation. It’s still spoken by the Amish and they make most of the traditional foods (shoofly pie, red beet eggs, pickled pigs feet, pig stomach, fastnachts, bova shankel), and my great-grandparents spoke it as their first language. My family wasn’t Amish, either, they were Lutheran, but they were part of the original Pennsylvania Dutch and some unique food and language traditions have been passed down. I think my grandparents’ area is one of the last bits of native speakers who aren’t in fairly insular religious sects.
  • Options
    PaturkeyPaturkey member
    edited September 2022
    @fertile-turtle What a fascinating linguistic history! I have never had pig's stomach but I'm a big fan of haggis which is offal mixed with oats cooked in a sheep's stomach. It doesn't sound appealing but it's actually very nice. I'm so excited for you that you are at the halfway point!

@itsjess627 Last pregnancy I sidecar-ed the crib to the bed (safely) and used that like a bassinet. It made it easier for midnight feeding transfers. I don't know a specific one I'd recommend but it will depend on the space you have available and if you want it to be separated or open on the side.

@karbaud I'm so sorry you're still waiting on those results. Have you tried harassing the lab with phone calls? As for tailbone pain I'm okay but I'm pretty sure @tessiesmom26 has dealt with this so maybe she can help?

EDD / Weeks + Days: 18w5d

Baby is the size of a(n): artichoke

Team blue/pink/green: blue

Upcoming Appointments: Anatomy scan on the 30th!

How are you feeling?: Generally feeling well but definitely getting some more RLP and noticing that I'm uncomfortable sitting with my legs crossed for a long time.

Rants/Raves: Rave- had an appointment with my MW last week and I asked about the OB appointment they booked me in for. She said that it's standard at my age (42) and they'll just go over my history and if there is anything we want to look out for later in the pregnancy. The great news is that since this is my third child and the previous two were spontaneous vaginal births during week 39, she thinks it's very unlikely they would suggest I need to be induced at 40 weeks if I make it that far. I am so relieved because I really don't want to have to be induced and was worried they might insist bc of my age. I've never made it to 40 weeks before but they also moved my EDD up five days earlier than LMP and two days earlier than my ovulation suggested so I was annoyed I lost a few days of wiggle room at the end - looks like it's all good!

Questions: Nope.

GTKY: What is is the strangest food that you like to eat (maybe because other people find it odd, or just because it's a weird food)? You know when you get a fresh ball of mozzarella in a packet and it comes in liquid? I like to drink the mozzarella water 😂 I'll usually dip bread in it to start and then just drink it. It's slightly creamy and a little sour and my Italian FIL saw me do it once and was both curious and mildly horrified 😁

ETA bold
  • Options
    @fertile-turtle I  come from a mostly German, Lutheran background on my mom's side (and dad who raised me) but I did not get to eat things like stuffed pig stomach. 😜 We have a lot of Amish living in this area. I didn't realize the whole Deutsch/Dutch mix up. Very fascinating! What state do you live in? We're in Wisconsin.
  • Options
    EDD / Weeks + Days: 18 weeks

Baby is the size of a(n): artichoke 

Team blue/pink/green:pink

Upcoming Appointments: ultrasound in 3 weeks

How are you feeling?: very good, just finding it a little hard to not be hungry after my appointment yesterday at the wellness center. My doctor said it's really important that I stay away from my food allergies completely and it's rough because they are healthy things I normally snack on if I get hungry. Yesterday I almost threw up because I didn't get enough to eat at lunch and I had to lay on the couch while my sweet husband made me pecan butter from scratch to put on my millet toast. I instantly felt better after eating it. I also added 7 more supplements to my already huge list. I had to order a new container for my vitamins because they wouldn't fit. 😂

Rants/Raves: lots of drama going on here but I'm surprisingly at peace. 

Questions:

GTKY: What is is the strangest food that you like to eat (maybe because other people find it odd, or just because it's a weird food)? Hmmm can't think of anything super strange but I do like grilled cheese with jam and pickles, dipped in tomato soup. If only I could eat normal bread or cheese... 
  • Options
    seeds_of_joyseeds_of_joy member
    edited September 2022
    @ttc3y thanks for the tip. I normally meal plan for our evening meal (which takes an hour alone and sometimes more) but I really should do this for snacks, etc! I think I'm going to need to because I'm so limited on what I can eat now. Also, that's interesting that you use food to embrace your heritage! I can relate in a way. When I found out I was very Turkish and Swedish a few years back, I started looking up traditional recipes from those cultures because it's the only connection I could have to any of my family on that side...Turkey more so because I've always loved middle eastern food. I think chicken feet and pork blood sounds pretty strange but I would definitely be willing to try it!! ☺️ Next time I see my Chinese sister in law, I should ask if she knows how to make these things!!
  • Options
    @seeds_of_joy It’s so hard to eliminate even just a few foods, I can’t imagine how challenging this is to do right now. Does the wellness center you’re working with have a nutritionist or dietitian on staff? They may be able to help with ideas for easy and satisfying snacks to have on hand but not necessarily have to fully prep. 

My dad is from eastern Pennsylvania, but moved to West Virginia (which has its own fun food traditions) before my parents met, so that’s where I grew up. Food was a big connection to my grandparents and great-grandparents and the whole big extended family 8 hours away, so I think that’s part of it. Now I live in Ohio, so I think there are some legit Amish markets an hour or so away that may have some of the harder to source components. If we end up unable to make it to PA for Christmas, I may have to make my own PA Dutch food instead.

@ttc3y food is such a great cultural connection! I know so many people who didn’t get to learn their parents’ native language and connect mostly through food. For that matter, I don’t speak any PA Dutch or German, and my dad only knows proper German from school (and PA Dutch curse words and insults that his grandfather taught him), so food is similar for me but on a lesser scale because the family is still right there. And I’ve had tripe before, cooked a few ways by Chinese friends. It’s delicious! I would totally be up for trying the chicken feet stew, too.

@Paturkey it sounds hopeful that they’ll let you go naturally instead of insisting on induction earlier. I know my cousin was in a similar spot this summer (41, 2nd child) and they offered NSTs (I can’t remember how often) instead of automatic induction if she made it to her due date. She ended up going into labor the day before her due date, so it was a moot point, but the option was there. Maybe if the OB seems set on it, that’s a compromise that could work for both of you? Especially since they moved up your due date like that, I can see why you’re nervous about it.
  • Options
    @fertile-turtle I'm planning to meet with their "food person" in a couple weeks to go over that stuff..I'm excited about it because I need the extra help. I just wish there were more options at local stores and that the products for people on special diets didn't cost 3 times more because when you have soon to be 8 people to feed on one income, it's hard to spend that much just for one. 😵‍💫 Hopefully it'll be temporary.

That's awesome that you also use food as a connection. It's important...food and connection to our roots. ☺️
  • Options
    ttc3yttc3y member
    edited September 2022
    @seeds_of_joy Have you looked into Thrive Market? They have a great selection of foods you can order online that may be difficult to find in conventional stores. They usually offer reduced prices and ship your products right to your doorstep. But I totally hear you on how expensive it is to do a food elimination diet. Our food bill went up when I did it too. But it’s worth it because at least you are no longer suffering from your ailments, have more energy to face your day, and it will prevent other health issues in the future. 
  • Options
    @Paturkey, we don't know which lab is doing the testing. My husband had his blood drawn at my OB's office. I called the office, and they said that they have no way to know the status of the results and won't know anything until they receive them.

@fertile-turtle, I was born and raised in WV. I spent the majority of my life there!
  • Options
    @ttc3y I've heard of thrive market but haven't really looked into it much. I'll have to do that. Thanks!
  • Options
    @karbaud that is infuriating! Can you ask them to do it again? That seems like too long to have to wait and have no way to follow up to make sure something isn't lost somewhere.
  • Options
    EDD / Weeks + Days: 19W today

Baby is the size of a(n): zucchini? Not one of those big ones obviously, lol 

Team blue/pink/green: Blue

Upcoming Appointments: Next week for the 20 week ultrasound anatomy scan and a check-in!

How are you feeling?: Pretty good. Still getting carsick/nauseated, but not nearly as often. Constipation is a constant problem, but I’ve been managing with daily treatments. Allergies have been crazy lately!!!

Rants/Raves: Rant- I’m still rocking that fat not pregnant look, I think. I really hate investing in maternity clothes, so so far I’m just wearing lots of track pants and stuff 🤷‍♀️ Got cheap maternity t-shirts from Old Navy and just using my last pregnancy Bella Bands to stretch this out as long as possible. Rave- our toddler is starting to embrace the baby idea much more, giving my belly kisses sometimes. I think it will only get better from here ❤️

Questions: not at the moment!

GTKY: What is is the strangest food that you like to eat (maybe because other people find it odd, or just because it's a weird food)? 

Hmmm, I feel like I have a few odd foods. A lot of my weird choices are based on my lifetime excessive love of salt. One of the strangest things I enjoy eating from time to time are roasted peanut shells (along with pumpkin seeds shells when we make them at home). I feel like there’s something better to list, but I’m not thinking of anything else, lol! Some of my newer foods come from my husband’s Puerto Rican roots- pasteles, tostones, mofongo - all soooo good!!!

@seeds_of_joy I can also say that Thrive has been super helpful for me over the years! Worth the membership cost.
  • Options
    EDD / Weeks + Days: 19 weeks

Baby is the size of a(n): zucchini

Team blue/pink/green: green 

Upcoming Appointments: anatomy scan on 10/7 it seems so far away. 

How are you feeling?: still like crap. Still nauseous and the horrific heartburn is kicking up. 

Rants/Raves: rave is feeling little movements more often. Rant is my 2 year old is being a fuss monster and is back to waking up at 530 am. He went through this phase awhile ago and it’s just brutal. 

Questions: nope

GTKY: What is is the strangest food that you like to eat (maybe because other people find it odd, or just because it's a weird food)?  Ha I’m pretty boring. I can’t really think of anything. 
  • Options
    Baby is the size of a(n): Mango

Team blue/pink/green: Blue 💙

Upcoming Appointments: 1st midwife appt tomorrow. Also I really need to get on with scheduling mh next GP appt.

How are you feeling?: My back hurts a fair bit, so I have to change tennis practise so I don't do too much overhead work. And tired and very very much round ligament pain at the moment. Otherwise I'm doing pretty good, actually. 

Rants/Raves: I'm going on holiday friday morning! One week on Crete, I'm super stoked. The rant is there's something wrong with my car so I can't get the automated side mirror heating to work. (So pretty minor this week 😅)

Questions: Not at the moment 😊

GTKY: What is is the strangest food that you like to eat (maybe because other people find it odd, or just because it's a weird food)? 

Ooh I'm lucky here! I don't eat anything that's weird (around here), but you guys - the Americans among you - will find them weird. Otherwise I'd have nothing 😂 Super salty liquorice, herring on rye bread, hard chocolate spread on rye bread, pretty much anything on rye bread!

• Options
    cpk3535cpk3535 member
    edited September 2022
    @justkp Salty liquorice sounds amazing!! I’m going to have to look for that one. I’m a black licorice fiend- not super popular in America either, lol. Also love the rye bread options! Must be my Euro roots, lol 😂 

@angbaby83 toddler struggles over here, too. I feel like we’re having very similar pregnancies, haha!! I’m on a regular antacid every night pretty much. When asked by the doc last week how I was feeling, I said still a bit sick and tired. She asked how old my kids were- when she heard I had a 2 yo, she said, “ That’s why you’re tired!” 🙄🤣
  • Options
    @Paturkey, I reached out to my OB again and asked if we should take the less robust CF test in the meantime (less accurate but quick turnaround) as I don’t want to be making extremely difficult decisions in my third trimester (depending on the results and additional testing). I was very transparent and honest with them about how impactful these results will be. I also cried for many hours last night about this.

Well, they made this a priority this morning and did some digging. The results were rerouted and lost in the system! His CF results were negative! Such a huge relief. Assuming that all goes well with my anatomy scan on Friday, I feel like I can actually allow myself to be excited and stop thinking worst case scenario. Maybe I’ll even buy a few baby items finally! 😅🥰
  • Options
    @cpk3535 Wow, you'll have to just move over here already, I'm pretty sure you'd qualify for Danish citizenship from your eating preferences alone 😁 I'd send you a shipment salt liquorice if it were not for shipping costs, it's heaven! 😍
  • Options
    @justkp I’ve had some salty licorice in Finland, if the Danish version is the same as salmiakki. I can’t eat much of it because it’s kind of overwhelming but I do like it. And @cpk3535 you can buy it on Amazon in the US! I have some in my kitchen right now 😂

@karbaud congratulations on the good news! That’s definitely not something you want to mess with, and knowing you’re in the clear must be so relieving.
  • Options
    @fertile-turtle @justkp I just ordered the candy!! Woohoo! I’m so excited to try it 🤤
  • Options
    @fertile-turtle Yeah it's the same. The Finns do love their liquorice as well. My baby will be 1/4 Finnish (Danish for the rest), so we might have to put up a liquorice quota for him 😉

@cpk3535 Brilliant!!! I'm very interested to hear what you think - you'll have to get back to us on that. (Bear in mind that liquorice root does have a tendency to cause high BP when consumed in high doses, so liquorice candy only recommended in moderation during pregnancy (around here, anyway). Just a fair warning if you happen to love it the way I do 😅)

• Options
    @karbaud I would like to love your post 1000 times! I’m so happy for you that you *finally* got your results and that they are the result you wanted. Go get something for baby! ❤️
  • Options
    EDD / Weeks + Days:  17+4 deb 26

Baby is the size of a(n): pomegranate 

Team blue/pink/green: blue

Upcoming Appointments: anatomy scan at the end of October... I can't remember the day. 17th or something. 

How are you feeling?: tired off and on but overall pretty dang good

Rants/Raves: I hate pelvic floor PT! It's so awkward

Questions: none

GTKY: What is is the strangest food that you like to eat (maybe because other people find it odd, or just because it's a weird food)? I mean, I eat everything but I would say by of it is particularly weird!