Baby Names

Which name and what are your associations?

hazelmaushazelmaus member
edited July 2022 in Baby Names
We also have been considering "Luis", it just feels more trendy than the others.

Which name and what are your associations? 33 votes

Arthur
12% 4 votes
Frederick
30% 10 votes
August (Gus)
45% 15 votes
Emil
12% 4 votes

Re: Which name and what are your associations?

• Luis is perfect.  
  • m2am2a member
    August. I like Auggie for short.
  • Loading the player...
  • edited July 2022
    Since you mentioned trendiness of names, just from a cursory glance at the Social Security website, Luis is decreasing in popularity but is still in the top 200, August is rising in popularity and is currently more popular than Luis, Arthur is also in the top 200 and is increasing in popularity, Frederick isn't very popular but still in the top 500, and Emil isn't even ranking on their list of the top 1000 baby names from 2021. Granted, I'm not sure where you're living, so stats may be different for your country.

Regardless, I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. All of them are super cute name :)
  • Thanks Annie, for taking the time to research. The stats are interesting to keep in mind. I'm German (where Emil is in the top 10 and Luis is VERY common too), residing in Canada (husband Canadian), which is why we prefer names that are heard of, classic, and pronounced similarly in most countries. We already have a son named Oliver (suuuper popular, just weren't that aware at the time-I don't mind it too much as he still is the only one in daycare and school so far). I just didn't want to mention his name to sway voters. I do want a name that ages well, but I guess most parents have that goal. It's so tricky, I find girls much easier for some reason. We don't know the gender, but the girls name list we have is set.
  • Thank you!
  • August- reminds me of an elderly family member who passed away. I’ve always loved the name and would have used it if another family member didn’t get to it first. My initial vote would have been Arthur, if you hadn’t had August on there. My association is the little boy from a show I watch that takes place in France (he’s like 12 now). 
  • I like Luis. All of the other names sound like an old man.
  • mb0112mb0112 member
    August seemed like it was trending for a while maybe 10 years ago. I love Frederick because it is underused, very classic, hard to mess up, and has nickname potential. And I love Fred Rogers 
  • I used to live in Germany and a good friend/coworker of mine has 2 boys - Emil and Luis- before seeing you were German I immediately wondered how you got those names! All your choices are great- I would say maybe not a name with Th in it as that is usually mispronounced in non English speaking countries ( and your child could potentially move to  Germany later, for example) 
  • hws80622hws80622 member
    edited July 2022
    August is a great name! Very strong.

The name Arthur always reminds me of Arthur the aardvark from the kids TV show but not sure if others will also have that reference
  • Thanks ajcwestcoast! I found your comment very helpful. Your co-worker has great taste in names. :) We really like Arthur however the "th" is really what I keep tripping over if I picture it used in Germany. There is a common German pronunciation as it's a well known name, but I'm nervous my extended family will try and call him "Arssssur". Otherwise that would likely be our favourite. We like the other names it just doesn't feel quite right yet. I just hope it falls into place and we know when we see baby's face in the next days.
  • The TV show is what my husband brought up too. He still likes the name the best it seems though. It doesn't bother us, but I believe that you have a point in many people our generation associating Arthur with the aardvark.
  • That's fair, older names are definitely what we feel drawn towards.
  • Arthur the tv show is so adorable. I feel like that’s a great name association.
  • I love I love Arthur but it’s kind of close to Oliver so for that reason I’d pick one of your other ones (all good). I like Fredrick and I think of the sweet children’s book about the mouse.