March 2023 Moms

Product Spotlight: Strollers!

Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product. Feel free to comment on threads like these throughout your time at the board, not just when they're in their week in the spotlight, if you discover something new OR are new to the board. This week it's.... Strollers!

FTMs are encouraged to ask questions & STM/+s encouraged to share their knowledge based on experience. You can use any or all the prompts relevant to you below to share info in an easy-to-read format. Pictures/screen grabs, if put in spoilers, are welcome!

For S+TMs: 

• Lifestyle factors that might influence your choice:
  • Favorite stroller:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like about it:
  • What you don't like about it, if anything:
  • Is there a stroller you don't have but are considering? Why?:
  • Is there a stroller you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: 
  • Additional thoughts?:

For FTMs

• Lifestyle factors that might influence your choice:
  • Stroller(s) you're interested in:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • Any questions for S+TMs?:

Next up: Car Seats 

Re: Product Spotlight: Strollers!

• miss_lynn9miss_lynn9 member
    edited September 2022
    Lifestyle factors that might influence your choice: I only used mine around the city sidewalks and in stores. I took it on a unpaved trail once, it did fine but I wouldn't take it on anything crazy. 

Favorite stroller: The only one I used was the City Mini GT

Link/picture: I bought it used so it wasn't the newest model. This is the only full picture I have of it. She was way too small for it, I was just checking lol. 
    Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): I bought it used so it was under $200. It's $280 new. 

What you like about it:
        - so much leg room. I would put my dog on            the foot rest at the front. 
        - good amount of space for putting things in         the back, under the seat. 
        - the handle bar is adjustable and very                    comfortable to hold. 
        - came with a sun thing 
        - the bucket seat attachment hasn't                        changed so I was able to get an older                  model and still use their current seat                  attachment. This was a deciding factor for        me. I wasn't going to buy new. 
        - SO EASY to fold up 
        - has a tray for attachment for baby/toddler.

What you don't like about it, if anything: 
        - it's a little bulky. But it looks like the newer
          ones are better. 

Is there a stroller you don't have but are considering? Why?:

Is there a stroller you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: 

Additional thoughts?: If you're planning on traveling with it, make sure it fits in your vehicle! 

Question!!! Would anyone be interested in a Bike trailer or seats product Spotlight? I realized that's not on the list but people may be interested in. 
    • Lifestyle factors that might influence your choice: We use our stroller on neighborhood sidewalks for walking and zoo trips and the like, so nothing with crazy wheels needed here. 
    • Favorite stroller: Mockingbird Single-to-Double ♥️ We also have a single Chicco Mini Bravo that came with a travel set but we wanted an upgrade when we knew we would be trying for another. It’s more or less our stroller for adventures where things might get more dirty before 2nd babe comes lol. Also have a secondhand City Mini Double for when our Disney trip rolls around in a year for both babes so not much of a review on that one yet as it’s sitting in our garage. Those are also great strollers to look up if you need a double!
    • Link/picture: Mockingbird Double configuration (one of many ways it can go) -single configuration - 
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): the Mockingbird retails around $450. They’re actually the cheaper version of the UPPAbaby Vista with all the same features!
    • What you like about it: that we can add the 2nd seat when needed! It’s easy to fold one handed and handles steering well. There are also SO MANY CONFIGURATIONS when you use it as the double stroller! Huge storage space underneath and the handlebar is adjustable for the parent’s height. It just looks so high end for not paying a high end price too.
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: nothing yet, other than it takes up a bit more room in my SUV trunk than I’d like.
    • Is there a stroller you don't have but are considering? Why?: nope, have both strollers that I want for 2 young kids!
    • Is there a stroller you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: no.
    • Additional thoughts?: make sure whatever stroller you get fits in your trunk!!
  • Loading the player...
  • edited September 2022
    • Lifestyle factors that might influence your choice: I’ll talk about singles and doubles. We had 2u2 and we needed both. 
    • Favorite stroller: For single we started with a Chicco bravo travel system. I liked it a lot. 

For double we used the Joovy Caboose II when DD was an infant because it had a universal bucket seat adapter. It also was very narrow and folded up pretty flat. 

When both kids were bigger our workhorse double was the Joovy Scooter X2. This thing was awesome and durable and we just gifted it (in great shape!) to my H’s cousin who just had twins. It even did great on trails!

Honorable mention to the Summer Infant 3D Lite. It was ok. It’s an umbrella stroller, not much to write home about. 
    • Link/picture:
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): All three were $$. I got everything on sale or with completion discounts. I scored the Caboose II really cheap for under $100. 
    • What you like about it: The Bravo can be used as a frame stroller for however long you want and then you can put the seat back on when baby is bigger. It rides smoothly and has a HUGE basket. We will have to replace the expired car seat but because we have this stroller still I’m sticking with the Chicco Keyfit. 
    The Caboose II was very space saving in my trunk. It would fold flat and I could put grocery bags on top. Once my oldest got bigger it was pretty cramped so we didn’t use it as long as I had hoped. It did turn into a sit and stand and I wish I hadn’t sold it this summer for that reason. 

The Scooter X2 was big and bulky but durable and had a ton of storage. We took that beast everywhere and got the kind with trays so they could eat meals in it. The seats reclined nicely for when DD needed a bottle. Can’t be used with an infant seat though, so more for 6 months +. 
    • What you don't like about it, if anything:
    All doubles are bulky. I wish the Bravo was just a touch “nicer” if that makes sense. 
    • Is there a stroller you don't have but are considering? Why?:
    I’ll probably get another umbrella when this baby is older. I had the Summer Infant 3D lite that we used off and on but I sold that too. It was ok, I might switch to a Chicco or Joovy lightweight stroller for better quality. 

The Mockingbird looks nice but I can’t really justify buying one. 
    • Is there a stroller you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: Nope. All of them served a purpose. 
    • Additional thoughts?: I really liked Joovy products. They didn’t break the bank but were nice quality. I feel like they don’t get enough love around here. 
    I’ll come back and post pics later. 
  • We had the BOB jogging stroller with our first since I was a runner. I wound up rarely running with her, and while it was a smooth ride, it was SO bulky. I couldn’t wait to sell it. 
  • Tricky question - Who had a single (not double or convertible) stroller that they loved? Like, let's say I know I'm one and done, so I have no need to look for strollers that more than one kid will be able to use. This seems tricky, as all STM/+s are, by definition, not one and dones, of course! Due to limited apartment space and just general minimalist tendencies and a hatred for lugging around more than needed, I'd love something really streamlined (but, if possible, still a bit heavy duty for the atrocious city sidewalks where I live) and not bulky. Thanks!

Also, for the early newborn stage, do you all use a bassinet attachment, or do you feel comfortable with a carseat? I need to read about that.
  • @missmuisq I also wanted minimal and got a single stroller. I got the city mini gt, my review is the first one on this thread. Like I mentioned in it, it was super easy but a little bulky. The new ones look less bulky. 

I used the bucket seat attachment which worked really well. 
  • @heytallmama Good to know about the BOB! What are you eyeing this time around?
  • @missmuisq The Bravo I mentioned above is pretty decent if you want something that folds nicely and holds an infant seat. It’s not THE most durable one out there but it’s decent. How much do you plan on using it? If it’s every day on hard pavement I’m not sure how it would hold up but it did fine for me with shopping and various outings outside with two kids, soon to be 3. 

• heytallmamaheytallmama member
    edited September 2022
    This time around I’m eyeing the Chicco Corso travel system. We had a Chicco key fit car seat before (and used the car seat attachment with the BOB), so I know I at least like and am familiar with the brand. I LOVE how configurable this is- car seat facing you and away, seat facing you and away. I also love the style/ colors- something I didn’t give a shit about years ago, but dammit now I do, and I’m not ashamed to admit I want cute things!

It felt pricey initially but honestly it’s pretty average cost for a stroller + car seat. Downside is we’ll need to get two bases for our cars and those are like $100 each?! 

Factors influencing my choice aside from the above is that we live in the burbs so I walk my daughter to school every day and we live near the city so it’ll be nice to take with us whenever we go downtown. I like that it’s not crazy bulky for if I take it shopping (the BOB felt like a monster- we quickly got a little umbrella stroller as soon as she was big enough). I also don’t run anymore so I’m not looking for that kind of vibe — I found when I DID go running, I needed that to be my solo time anyway 🙂

• This time around I'm looking at the Graco Pace system. I wanted a travel system since those are amazing and a must for me in the early weeks. I had an Evenflo cheap $100 travel system that lasted three kids and then the stroller broke, but I hated the thing. It didn't work well on our sidewalks around the neighborhood. This thing looks like it will steer better, hopefully. I also want something relatively cheap because it only has to last a few months at the most. Then the baby will be big enough for our double stroller.

• @heytallmama I saw a Corso out in the wild at a theme park last week and thought it looked super nice! If I didn’t already have the Bravo I would consider it. 

I *might* think about gifting the bravo to one of our moms and getting this if we have enough baby budget left over. But yeah, those seat bases are 🤮 $$$ so probably not in the cards. Will need THREE of them in addition to the one it comes with. That being said, you might be able to score one used/not expired. They haven’t changed designs at all that I am aware of. 
  • We have the Uppa Baby Vista V2, and we both love it. 

We use it for neighborhood walks, farmers market, festivals, walks on the lakefront, walks in downtown Chicago, to the zoo and we've used it on walking trails. 

The basic info: It comes with the stroller frame, a bassinet and a toddler seat. It also comes with a bug net and a rain guard that you can put over the stroller to protect your babe. You are able to purchase an additional rumble seat, ride along board, various accessories and the upper and lower adapters separately. It is one of the priciest strollers, at around $700-800 new. 

What we love about it:
    -it is VERY easy to push and handles like a dream, even on mulch and uneven ground
    -it is very maneuverable, and works just as well on crowded sidewalks as wide open spaces
    -it folds up very easily and it is light; I have no problem picking it up and putting it in the car myself
    -you can use it for up to three kids at a time; there are multiple configurations you can use, including the bassinet with the toddler seat, toddler + rumble seat and you can also add the ride-along board for older kids who may not want to sit in the stroller but don't want to walk either
    -it works as-is with the Mesa carseat, but you can purchase adapters if you have different car seats too. I think it's great as a travel system
    -it has a large basket underneath that will hold all the stuff you need
    -it has a wide range of angles to use for the toddler seat, so if you want to recline it your child can be almost horizontal, and all of the angles in between
    -going along with the above, the canopy is extendable, so if your baby is reclined they will still be covered and not in the sun
    -it has a HUGE height range for the handlebar, which would be a huge deal if there is a big gap between you and your partner's height
    -there are available attachments, like the snack tray and the cupholders that are very convenient 
    -we got the cozy ganoosh for our winter walks/zoo trips and DD LOVED it. She was very warm and cozy, even in Chicago winter. 
    -it is very well made, and customer service is top-notch. We use the crap out of ours and it is still like new. 
    -it cleans up easily; DD has ground in graham cracker and spilled milk all over it and it just takes a damp cloth and it's like new again

We've used some other strollers with friend's kids and my niece. The most memorable one that I didn't like is the Bravo; it was not easy to push and didn't turn well. 
  • Has anyone had the doona??? I've been debating it since my biggest gripe with car seat and strollers was the amount of space needed to travel with both and set up/tear down. 

I went with a jogging stroller for my first where the car seat latched in. It ended up being way to bulky for everyday use though. I realized real quick that I just didn't need as much as I thought I would, so the under storage went mainly unused. 
  • @gravcass It looks slick but it’s very spendy and I heard babies outgrow it sooner than other bucket seats. My babes end up getting huge and maybe last til 7-8 months in the bucket so I don’t think it would justify the price for me. But I think if it makes your life easier and you have the cash, go for it! I see them everywhere!