Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Tummy Time

Hi! I’m worried my son is behind on tummy time. He always enjoyed it as a newborn on my chest but now at almost 4 months I feel like we are lagging on the recommended amount of tummy time.

“They” say he should be getting 20-30 minutes daily. I started kinda being more aware of it and we maybe get 10 or 15 minutes. He just struggles with it. He loves floor time on his back, but he seems to just faceplant during tummy time after two or three minutes. He doesn’t care to lift his head, even if we are reading a book or playing with a mirror. I can reposition his arms and he just wiggles to lay his head down again. 

Any tips?

Re: Tummy Time

• It's totally fine for him to lay his head down! It's hard work and he needs breaks and rest. 20-30 minutes a day isn't that whole time actively holding his head up on one long go. Just letting him hang out in that position, rest when he needs and lift his head to look around when he's ready is great. 2-3 minutes then a good rest is good, and if he's tolerating hanging out that way and isn't screaming at you, take it as a win and keep hanging out with him down there. If you're not already doing it, lie down with him on your tummy, face to face, and talk and sing while you're down there. Aside from being the best entertainment, you'll also feel some fatigue hanging out like that for a while.

I'm not sure you really need extra tips, tbh, it sounds like he and you are doing great! For babies who really hate it (though this doesn't sound like yours), I sometimes recommend putting a rolled up towel under their chest and armpits to give them some elevation, or to try with him on your chest with you lying down or even just reclined on a couch or recliner to whatever angle he needs to tolerate it, working towards lying flat. Those things help babies tolerate it if they can't do flat of the floor, but it sounds like yours is tolerating it, so I'd stick with what you're doing. (I'm an early intervention teacher, so I've worked on tummy time with lots and lots of babies. I'm not a PT, but I've worked with some and get some of my best tricks from them)
  • @00kim00 Thank you! I texted a friend of mine with a 11 month old. She basically said the same thing. I’m just pushing too hard. 

You’re right, he doesn’t hate it. He’s a very easy baby, so laid back. 

Thank you for sharing your expertise.