1st Trimester
Options

Exhaustion

How does everyone deal with this complete exhaustion? I never imagined I would be this tired. I’m just struggling fulfilling my daily tasks and work has become so difficult 

Re: Exhaustion

• Options
    I'm right there with you! Taking a few naps, during the day has helped me. I've found I'm most productive from 11am-1pm... The rest of the time, I feel worthless!
  • Options
    I hear ya - I’m struggling with major fatigue as well. So opposite my normal and I become hard on myself for not getting simple tasks done. I’m just trying to give myself grace - knowing my body is undergoing some major changes that it has never been through before.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have had major fatigue as well. I’m struggling with it because I leave the house at 4:45am for work and usually don’t get back home until 7pm. And my job has a policy that sleeping at work, even if you’re on break or off the clock, is prohibited. :( Of course I’ve cut back on caffeine too. So I’m trying to just go to bed earlier and sleep late on weekends (which I’m not used to). I’m going to follow this thread in case anyone has good tips!!
  • Options
    I’ve been struggling with this as well and feeling guilty for not being more active. I don’t know how people are still regularly exercising when I can barely get through my daily tasks and work without needing a nap. I read that having smaller meals more frequently helps with the fatigue so trying that this week.
  • Options
    The fatigue is real! I noticed it comes and goes. I try to capitalize on when I am feeling a little energy boost, usually in the evenings to go on a run. It is hard though! Especially with no caffeine!
  • Options
    No kidding! I feel like I want to sleep all day, every day. I go to work @ 6:45 and can work until 5:30 if I choose to. Right before I found out I was pregnant, I was working until 5:30 most days. I would come home so tired and just ready for bed by 7. Now I realize why I was so tired. So now I just work until my required 8 hours @ 3:30. I came home the other day and told my boyfriend that I might take a nap every once in a while after work to help and he was so supportive and told me I should take one every day. I went on an overnight trip with a girlfriend of mine last night to a concert (still haven’t shared with family/friends because my first appointment isn’t until Sept 13), so I was up late last night and got up early this morning to come home. He met me outside, grabbed my bag for me, had brunch ready for me because I told him we didn’t eat before heading home, and told me to go take a nap when I was done. He had done a load of dishes that I was slacking on. Had the load of towels I left in the dryer folded and put away. I think a strong and understanding support system and partner (if you are going through this with a partner) is very important. Our bodies are growing a whole entire human. And this is my first pregnancy, I’m considered advanced maternal age or “geriatric” (35, will be 36 in Oct) AND had Bariatric surgery 2 years ago. So my body doesn’t know what the heck is going on. Lol.

Also, I’ve read that eating certain foods like nuts (if no allergies) or avocados, spinach, apples, sweet potatoes and high protein foods can help boost energy. Oh and water. Drink plenty of water.

Hope your pregnancy is going well otherwise!!
  • Options
    This is when I've had to tell myself, "Rest is an action." -- It can be easy to be hard on ourselves, but rest is doing SO MUCH work for our little babies!! I'm napping from 1:30-2 and in bed at 9 - asleep before 10 - This will pass!!
  • Options
    Yeah, the struggle is real. I was able to go for a 15 minute walk during my lunch at work one day and was amazed how much of an energy boost this gave me. The problem is that I don’t always have time for this (or the energy to even fathom going for a walk). It seems like the exhausted days come and go, like some days are worse than others. It’s so hard being this tired and also having to limit caffeine! I have no energy to work, make dinner after work, do anything around the house, etc. I hope the second trimester is better.
  • Options
    The exhaustion is no joke. I am an avid runner and workout nearly 6 days a week… NOT pregnant. But with each of my pregnancies (this is #3) I have been unable to even make it to the mailbox without needing to sleep for hours on end. I will aim to get back to walking and moving more at 15 weeks (assuming I get relief at that time). I’ve also left work some days, driven home, fell asleep for two hours and then went back. And I spend an entire weekend day on my back in an effort to get through the week. I haven’t been able to cook, clean, even care for my kids without help. Get support from others if you can and keep eating! Even though it is miserable to eat, try to keep eating something. For some reason, this pregnancy, protein seems to work better for me than anything else- just keeping me more level. Whatever you can get down
  • Options
    Exhaustion has been my biggest battle! I used to work outside zooming around for 8 hours a day, come home make dinner, do yoga, go for an after dinner walk. Now I work 5-6 hour days, am lucky if I get yoga in for the day even just 5 minutes, and if I go for a walk after dinner I am dragging myself after 15 minutes. I move like a slug instead of a cheetah these days, feels so crazy to go from 15,000-20,000 steps a day to 7,000 (I push for 10,000 if it is a good day).

From what I understand we should not feel bad for this! We are doing more work inside our bodies than we realize, we just have to listen to our bodies and respect the exhaustion instead of fight it.