February 2023 Moms
Options

Weight gain

I have struggled with my weight and body image since I was 12, and this pregnancy is really bringing back those negative emotions and thoughts about myself. I have gained 11 pounds so far, and being overweight from covid, vacation, depression, all the things, I had a goal in my head to not gain more than 15-20 pounds. With my first, I gained 50, and I cannot do that again. I am wondering what kind of snacks you guys are eating- protein rich- to try to get back on the healthy eating track.

Re: Weight gain

• Options
    I so feel your pain. Weight gain is my weak side  :(
  • Options
    I’ve struggled with this too. I have been “dieting” and weighing myself daily for 11 years! Otherwise, I’ll gain so much weight.

I was anxious because I gained 5lbs in the first trimester, and had read that you don’t need to gain any weight in the first trimester. Now, I’m anxious that I might not be gaining enough in the second trimester. 🤦🏻‍♀️

Honestly, I probably don’t eat a lot of healthy snacks, but I do snack more and eat smaller portion sizes throughout the day. This has helped I think. If I’m too hungry I’ll over eat, so allowing me to snack more seems to help. I’ve been snacking on nectarines, apples, bananas, crackers with peanut butter, string cheese, and pasta salad mostly. I still eat plenty of chips and chocolate too though, so it’s all about balance for me.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have also struggled with my weight for a while so I’m right there with you. Right before I got pregnant I was on a strict exercise and diet regime and noticed that I was making no progress. I was so confused and angry then I found out I was pregnant! I drink protein shakes in the morning and eat more vegetables to feel satisfied. I buy lots of organic snacks. I also listen to body positivity podcasts every morning about women who have gone through the weight gain and pregnancy stuff. It truly has made me feel better. I go for a walk every day. That helps me to feel like I’ll somehow bounce back after the baby and helps with my anxiety! I am thinking of joining a mommy to be group so I don’t feel so alone with this stuff.
  • Options
    The walk every day part is something I need to start doing. I was exercising 5 days a week before April, then nothing. Now every day that I don’t exercise I get so down on myself and feel horrible- a walk is a great way to at least move my body in some way.
  • Options
    CheypiCheypi member
    edited August 2022
    As a society, we’ve been so conditioned to see weight gain as fat, that pregnancy can really take a toll on our headspace. I’m going to leave this gentle reminder here … you are currently building and sustaining a completely separate ecosystem in your body that *did not exist* six months ago.

Pregnancy weight gain typically consists of 25-35lbs:
    2-3lbs breast tissue
    2-3lbs placenta (an organ you created from scratch!)
    2-3lbs amniotic fluid
    4lbs blood
    5-9lbs stored fat
    2-5lbs uterus
    6-10lbs baby

❤️❤️❤️
  • Options
    panda993322panda993322 member
    edited September 2022
    I gained a few pounds in the first trimester. Now in the second, I’m gaining rapidly. I’m at 15 weeks and have gained an additional 5 pounds since my 12 week. Is this normal?

I feel like I’m eating well and exercising almost daily. 
  • Options
    @panda993322, something similar happened to me too. I gained 5lbs within the first 12 weeks. Then, I quickly gained 3-4 pounds during weeks 14 and 15. Since then, I've stopped gaining and have maintained my weight. I wonder if it comes in spurts? I'm not sure since this is my first pregnancy.
  • Options
    @karbaud I definitely think the growth happens in spurts. As I’m entering the 2nd trimester, I’ll have spikes of hunger and mild round ligament pain as well as periods of fatigue. 

@Cheypi I appreciate your post in reminding us how hard our bodies are working to create a human. 
  • Options
    Totally. Yes, my doctor said weight gain isnt perfectly linear - some weeks you may hardly gain, others you may gain 3 pounds in a week. Trying not to fixate!