December 2022 Moms

Breast Pump recommendation

alexa_rosiealexa_rosie member
edited August 2022 in December 2022 Moms
Moms,

I've realized my previous breast pump discussion was confusing.:(

The question I have is how to pick a right breast pump from the list below and any recommendations on the brand/model? Is hands free a better option??
Breast Pump Comparison Chart and Selection Guide | Byram (byramhealthcare.com)

I've read through the descriptions but still not clear how to pick.

Re: Breast Pump recommendation

• I'm in the same place and a FTM, so I don't have an answer for you, but I'm interested hear what others say! So far, what I've been hearing is that the handsfree/in-bra models typically have less suction and lead to less milk. From the research I've done, it looks like the Madela Freestyle and the Spectra S1 are the most recommended. Some people who have tried both said the Spectra led to less pain and more output, so that's what I'm leaning towards at the moment. But my only sources have been discussion boards like this and Google, no personal experience, so I'd love to hear more, especially from people who have tried more than one and can compare!
  • I’m in a similar boat, FTM here! I’ve talked to some close friends who have just recently delivered; I would need to reach out to a lactation expert but from what I have heard the hands free wearable are not recommended for the first few months.
     I am interested in getting one though because of my job and difficulty being able to pump freely. 
    My old coworker recommended renting a hospital grade pump for the first month or so and then buying your pump or getting through insurance. I liked the idea of that because at that point I’ll hopefully have a better idea of what works for me! Once you purchase a pump a limited warranty usually starts so I’m trying to not jump the gun super early even though I want to have everything ready ahead of time! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes! I’m also a FTM but others have mentioned they preferred the Spectra so I’m also leaning towards that.
  • The spectra was highly recommended to me by multiple ppl. My SIL also got the Elvie hands free one and said the suction was not good
  • Yeah, it's really a lot and confusing as a FTM. I've been in a deep dive doing research. 

I'm getting the Spectra 1 or 2. I'm also getting a manual haakaa just in case and to help with potential clogs. You can find a bunch of reviews on YouTube and podcasts that describe the different pumps. 

One thing I've picked up, it's important to measure the diameter of your nipple in your third trimester so you can get a flange that properly fits. It's important for output but also to prevent nipple injury. The default flange on most models is 24 but I heard most folks don't fit that. And your nipples may be two different sizes. There are companies that sell after market products, like Legendairy. Inserts that fit into the standard 24 size but made with softer plastic that will fit your size better etc. There's a lot out there to hack whatever pump you get to make it more comfortable.
  • With my son I used the Spectra S1 until he was 14 months (pumping when I went back to work when he was 3 months). I really liked it. It is rechargeable and a charge would last me a couple days pumping four times a day for 15-20 mins each. Get an extra set of flanges, duck bills, and connector rings. Using it all the time they will get lose and start losing section power. I also loved my Hakka with the lid for breastfeeding for the first several months to use on the other side to catch the over flow. I would get up to an oz extra! It also helped to get ride of clogs. Before you buy a pump check with insurance as a lot of them pay for part or all of a pump. Mine paid for part of the Spectra which was still cheeper then buying it on my own
  • I want to preface this with the fact that I am a FTM too so this is not first hand experience but the advice I’ve been given. My doctor put me in touch with a Lactation Group which advises women on pump options. I told them I wanted a wearable bump (something I could put under clothes) because I will need to go back to work after a few months. They quickly recommended the Elvie Stride to me which is wearable under your clothes but still has a motor attachment (that I think you wear on your hip) but the motor is what makes it still hospital grade suction which is what you want to look for. There’s another Elvie product that does NOT have the motor and that is confirmed to be less strong for suction. I’ve been told to avoid that one as a previous poster also mentioned it doesn’t work well without the motor. My boss actually is also 4 months postpartum and uses the Elvie Stride and said it was a game changer. Another wearable pump with a motor that my sister in law swears by is the Freemie Liberty which is also hospital grade suction but my insurance didn’t cover that brand where as they covered most of the cost of the Elvie Stride which is why I opted for that instead. Hope this helps! I’m just glad to see the market designing products to make women’s lives more flexible during this already demanding time!