December 2022 Moms
Options

When should baby shopping start?

Hello moms! I have officially found out the gender of my baby! Now my concern is when should I start shopping? I’m due 12/24 , and I’m not having a baby shower. Should I get started or wait for a while?

Re: When should baby shopping start?

• Options
    I would start shopping as soon as possible especially for with tracking prices and for steals and deals. BuyBuy Baby just wrapped up their big sale and they still have some things on sale (like today I got an ergobaby omni 360 for $100 vs $180).
  • Options
    I’m also due 12/24. We haven’t purchased big things yet but we’ve been purchasing some small things along the way. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    First of all congratulations. Personally I think it's never too early to shop, when you get cute stuff with discounts go for it, purchase things along the way. 
    And btw for your bras, I recommend Brabbly. Got mine from them and I've never been disappointed.
  • Options
    With my first baby, we were in a small apartment and so we didn’t want to buy lots of things we wouldn’t end up using/needing. Beside obvious items like a car seat, stroller, diapers, a few outfits, etc., we really didn’t buy much. And then as we had him home and would come across things that we decided we’d actually use and would be helpful, we bought on Amazon prime! I’d add it to my registry and then buy it off the registry to get the discount. 
  • Options
    I'd suggest waiting a bit. Even if you're not having a shower, friends and family may want to send some gifts, so it's better to wait and take stock of what you've been given to avoid buying anything unnecessary. With my first pregnancy, I was gifted a ton of off-registry clothing. 
  • Options
    We are waiting until end of September/October to get most of our stuff but we already ordered the big furniture so it didn't hit on the same paycheck. Shipping each time was delayed by 2 or more months so I'm glad we got it early.
  • Options
    @talldecafcappuccino great suggestion on ordering furniture early! Places like pottery barn have long delays.

otherwise I have heard don’t buy clothes as friends and family always tend to overbuy that for you. 

Do buy car seat and bassinet close to the start of the 3rd trimester so that’s our goal for September!

one final tip I’ve heard is to buy a variety of bottle and swaddle brands as some baby’s have a strong preference for a certain type. So better to buy 1 bottle each of 4 different brands and then once your baby likes one buy a dozen of that brand.