April 2023 Moms

Product Spotlight: Pregnancy/Parenting Books

Continuing with some "Non-Registry" products for this week!

Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product. Feel free to comment on threads like these throughout your time at the board, not just when they're in their week in the spotlight, if you discover something new OR are new to the board. This week it's.... Pregnancy Books!

FTMs are encouraged to ask questions & STM/+s encouraged to share their knowledge based on experience. You can use any or all the prompts relevant to you below to share info in an easy-to-read format. Pictures/screen grabs, if put in spoilers, are welcome!

For all...  
  • What book/s on pregnancy/motherhood/maternity/parenting do you own/have you read?
  • What about that the book/s drew you to it/them?
  • What would you like to share about those you've read/started to read?
  • Any books on your radar that you don't own yet that you're hoping to get your hands on? Why?
For STM/STM+...  
  • Is there ONE pregnancy/motherhood/maternity/parenting book you'd recommend---if so, which? 
  • Any books you recommend avoiding/why?

Re: Product Spotlight: Pregnancy/Parenting Books

• Not a book but a podcast recommendation...I really enjoyed listening to The Birth Hour podcast. It helped me to hear all these different women tell their stories to prepare for the fact that literally anything can happen. And then of course my delivery was nothing at all like I had "planned" 🙃
    I read some good books last pregnancy--will double check my  bookshelf when I get back home in a couple of weeks
  • For all...   

What book/s on pregnancy/motherhood/maternity/parenting do you own/have you read?

•Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way
    •Expecting Better
    •Babywise
    •The Happy Sleeper
    •Busy Toddlers Guide to Actual Parenting
    •No Such Thing as Bad Weather
    •How to Talk so Little Kids Will Listen
    •Simplicity Parenting
    •Balanced and Barefoot
    •Mothering Our Boys
    •No Bad Kids/Elevating Childcare (Both by Janet Lansbury and in my opinion essentially the same book)

What about that the book/s drew you to it/them?

Many of the pregnancy and childbirth books were read in recommendations from others. The others I hear about in podcasts or through my work in early childhood education. 

What would you like to share about those you've read/started to read?

A friend sent me the childbirth book. I found it helpful in explaining the physical part of labor but the methods for pain relief didn’t personally help me all that much. 

I’m about halfway through Expecting Better. I think it’s interesting. With this being my second pregnancy I think I’m naturally a little more relaxed about the restrictions. 

Babywise is a kind of strange book. It claims to be about sleep and baby development but has a weird Christian undertone. I’m a Christian and even I found that to be odd. The general concept is to creat a routine for your baby. 

I loved the Happy Sleeper for sleep training. I listened to it on audiobook when my son was maybe 3 months old. 

I’m also currently reading Actual Parenting and it’s so cute. I would highly recommend it. 

The rest are about parenting young children, slowing down, spending time outdoors, and respectful parenting. 

Any books on your radar that you don't own yet that you're hoping to get your hands on? Why?

I’ve heard good things about Cribsheet

For STM/STM+...  

Is there ONE pregnancy/motherhood/maternity/parenting book you'd recommend---if so, which?

I know it says one in all caps but I have a top 3
    • Simplicity Parenting
    • Mothering Our Boys
    • Balanced and Barefoot
  • Loading the player...
    • What book/s on pregnancy/motherhood/maternity/parenting do you own/have you read? - Pregnancy: nothing. I bought “what to expect when you’re expecting” and it’s been collecting dust on my shelf for four years. Parenting: “Sincerely, your autistic child”, “the explosive child”, “raising human beings”.

• What about that the book/s drew you to it/them? - Ross Greene’s whole thing just makes sense to me. Even if your child isn’t “explosive”, my son isn’t, it’s a great book on how to get on your child’s level and see things from their perspective. As for “sincerely, your autistic child”, my son is autistic. There’s a lot of misleading and harmful literature out there about autistic people, I wanted to make sure to find one with perspectives from autistic people themselves and not their parents.

• What would you like to share about those you've read/started to read? - I’m bad at book summaries. Just read them. Or don’t.

• Any books on your radar that you don't own yet that you're hoping to get your hands on? Why? - “uniquely human”, sounds like a good book on getting to know how autistic brains work without all the negative stereotyping. 
    For STM/STM+...  
    • Is there ONE pregnancy/motherhood/maternity/parenting book you'd recommend---if so, which? - it depends what you’re looking for. Most of you probably won’t have autistic kids, but I’d recommend reading those anyway so that you can better understand some of your kids’ future friends and classmates. 
    • Any books you recommend avoiding/why? - nah. “What to expect when you’re expecting” is an excellent dust collector. 
    DS born 2/18/2019
    DD born 4/1/2023
    Baby #3 EDD 11/21/2024