Postpartum Depression
Options

9 months

Can I still get post partum depression even if my baby is 9 months?

Answers

• Options
    Unfortunately, yes. 
    Mine is 6 months and I find I am still in the thick of it. Many say use pills or therapy, and you surely have been told the same if you bring it up to those around you. 
    I do wonder when post partum just becomes a regular depression and if it is looked at differently. 
    I was told when hormones return to normal it may change, but I'm on the birth control pill (even a low dose hormone one) and I don't feel that is getting back to normal. 

There isn't really a timeline to get out of it. There's expectations people will have for you to get out of it, even that you may place on yourself.  But I have also been told by another mother I know that had a traumatic birth experience as I did (she gave birth at 7 months pregnant and her baby also had to be in the NICU) We both struggle to get through that as a place in the post partum depression too. 
    I theorize that how traumatic the birth experience was may prolong how much/long that person will be in the depths. 
    Hers is 7 years old now and there are still times she cries with the second the thoughts come in.
    Although, because many people can have hormones and many other causes, it may be for them different to get through. 

I think some don't experience it, some for the first few months-and all lucky them. 
    I so very much wish there were something to take it away and be more in moments and the joys of motherhood. 
    I try to keep myself focused on how much my baby loves me, even when I feel disconnected from him, but never tell him. 
    I do find trying to focus on those beautiful things moment by moment gets me through the day 
    😊
  • Options
    Yes,I too undergone this situation and revealed by theraphy only
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Mine started getting worst after 3 months mark. Also, not having help around worsened the condition. Baby is now 5 months complete and I feel like I am getting out of it only cause I used all the tools I know on a day to day basis. There are times when I can feel it’s presence but it’s not strong as it used to be. Many have recommended therapy and I did research few therapists around my area but haven’t found the one I like.

Some of the tools I used: 5 min journaling where I write down~ my vision, intention, gratitude, things I am letting go, things I’ll hold space for~ on a daily basis, I listened to podcast by brene brown, Oprah, Sam smith (A little bit of optimism). I watched many helpful videos on YouTube. I meditated and reminded myself of my intentions for the day and most importantly what I am grateful for. I started socialize a bit more, calling people over even if it drained me cause that helped me emotionally so much.

I am sending warm hugs to anyone going through PPD. It is hard but you will get through this. You might not believe me right now but put in your all to get to the other side of this. Reach out to friends or whoever you feel comfortable with and share what you have been going through, yes even the worst thoughts you are having. I forgot to mention that there were times when I wanted to hurt myself and didn’t see a point in living but now I cannot imagine not seeing these magical milestones my baby is achieving. You will get through this!