2nd Trimester

Did anyone take covid 2nd booster shot

edited July 2022 in 2nd Trimester
Hello everyone,

With covid cases increasing, I am thinking to take Moderna 2nd booster shot. 

wanted to check if anyone here has already taken one, and if there were any after effects.

Thanks!

Re: Did anyone take covid 2nd booster shot

• Hi there,

I was going back and forth about getting a second booster because I'll be back in the classroom in a month. I just got it yesterday. I wasn't sure if it would be better to just wait for the new omicron booster that will be coming (some say in October), but I was too worried about getting COVID for a second time in pregnancy, so I bit the bullet. Hopefully I can get the new one before I deliver as well.

So far, I'm feeling fine. The side effects seem milder than those from my other COVID shots, just soreness, no fever. Baby is still moving around like normal.  

• Thank you for sharing, I was in similar dilemma, but its better to get 2nd booster and stay safe during pregnancy. I will get it too. 
  • Loading the player...
  • marcap123marcap123 member
    edited July 2022
    Can you share the link or source? I did not hear this, and I've been waiting!

As far as I can tell, CDC does not include pregnancy as an indication for a second booster. If I'm missing the specific CDC page, I'd love to send it to my doc. Thanks!
  • @marcap123 I think you're right that pregnancy isn't an indication for a second booster. I read somewhere that it doesn't count as "moderately to severely immunocompromised." That's why I was really debating getting it, but my OB said it wouldn't hurt, and I will be in a very high-risk situation shortly (close contact with 70+ students every week, possibly without masks). My first booster back in November wasn't enough to keep me from getting BA2 back in May (although I'm lucky my infection was mild,), so I'm worried I'll get BA5 too with the current wave. 

What a time we're living in! So many tough decisions!
  • edited July 2022
    Sure here at CDC link

, for 2nd booster, click on 

moderately or severely immunocompromised link
    Here click again on “ moderately or severely immunocompromised ” which will take you to below link that has pregnancy 

For me, I was actually recommended by my OB for second booster based on my health condition, I think here we don’t see CDC explicitly calling it out, so looks like its dependent on your Dr recommendation.

• I got my 2nd booster (4th shot in total) in June - Pfizer. My midwife urged me to get it (I too work in a school with students, unmasked, etc) and I’ve had check-ups, and ultrasound since then and baby is doing great. I didn’t have many side effects, just very tired. But that was my reaction to all of them. Makes me feel hopeful that if I do catch it it won’t be as severe as it could be and potentially have long term effects. 
  • I got the second booster after checking with my midwife and she said it was okay. I had a sore arm and fatigue this time compared to when I got the first booster and the lymph nodes in my armpit swelled up. 
  • I got the second booster, they gave me the Pfizer though. No symptoms at all for me (nor baby) I wanted to stay as safe as possible for baby...i  plan on getting another if we are advised to, im only going to give birth in November. 
  • I got the second booster, I'm in healthcare and my MFM recommended it especially with being on progesterone and having a history of pre-term birth. I unfortunately still got sick on 7/30 and had a rebound case, getting better finally. Glad I got the booster because I'm sure it could have been worse but I missed my anatomy scan and cervical length checks twice because I've been sick for a while. OB and MFM are adding growth scans in the third to make sure baby is still growing ok after COVID infection. Hoping the vaccine prevents any issues with baby/the placenta from being sick
  • Hi,
    I got the 2nd covid booster a few weeks ago and just found out I'm pregnant. Due in April. I had no side effects on any of the covid vaccines.
  • As soon as I found out I was pregnant, I looked into getting the second booster but read that pregnancy alone wouldn’t make me eligible. I then got COVID a little over month ago (10 weeks pregnant) and had a rebound case three weeks later.

Has anyone been able to get the second booster who isn’t a frontline worker or immunocompromised?
  • @karbaud So sorry to hear that you got COVID twice! I got it myself in May when I was 12 weeks pregnant. After checking with my doctor, I went to CVS and got my second booster last month. On the website when I scheduled the appointment, I indicated that I was immunosuppressed (technically true because of pregnancy), and in the pharmacy they didn't ask any questions. 
  • Just got my second booster as we will be travelling and was highly recommended by my mid-wife. It knocked me out for a day with a small fever and aches but that happened with all the shots while I wasn’t pregnant as well so expected. Hopefully this will help reduce symptoms should we be exposed. 
  • @karbaud Frontline worker here and we aren’t advised to get a fourth shot unless immune compromised or over 50 like the rest of the population. AMA recommends against fourth shot during pregnancy unless otherwise immune compromised. We may have reached the point of diminishing returns on the current vaccine. I’m anxious to see if we follow the UK for a bivalent vaccine, which would be more useful for its activity against omicron. 

I’m going to see if the OB recommends anything different at my first prenatal on Friday. 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • @Wishilivedinflorida I don’t know that we will, and if we do, it’ll probably depend on efficacy data from the UK. Studies of neutralizing antibody response against BA.4 and BA.5 didn’t show an advantage for the multivalent booster, although that doesn’t mean there’s no other advantage to it that could show up in real-world data. Unfortunately we’re playing variant catch-up still, although mutation rates seem to have maybe slowed or stabilized.

I also haven’t gotten a 4th dose/2nd booster, although as soon as it’s recommended I will. I also don’t work in any kind of high-risk environment (research lab with full vaccine and booster uptake and a high masking rate) so I’m less concerned about my exposure. And while Covid during pregnancy can be more serious and can cause placental problems, even the single booster is very effective against severe disease so for now, I’m feeling pretty ok with a single booster although I’m definitely keeping an eye on the data and recommendations.
  • hey all - random update… and I was at my MFM appointment this week and happened to have a doctor who specializes in infections - covid- in pregnant women. He just finished a study with Oxford that looked at covid in pregnant women in 18 different countries over the past year- so expert on his field. 

He was telling me that for women who had the basic shots they found a 53% chance of no long term covid or severe covid - when a woman took the booster - any booster the number jumped to 93% chance of only having mild covid symptoms and baby being fine. I was on the fence with waiting for the Omicron one as my first booster or doing it now- he said do the current booster first if you haven’t and then get the omicron when eligible - either way it boosts your chances to the 90th percentile for survival and no harm to you or baby. 
  • @lilswed That is encouraging. I’m paranoid because I can’t take aspirin (very allergic) if I get Covid and worried about clotting issues. I’m hoping my case of Covid back in May is somewhat protective too until we are approved for something. 

OB confirmed 4th dose is not routinely given to pregnant women as of yet. But I will take it if/when offered and going to get flu vaccine asap this year. 
  • Potentially good news for any other Americans waiting for more specific boosters - Pfizer just submitted a BA.4/BA.5 bivalent booster to the FDA, so it may be available before any potential fall waves. 
  • Just about 25 weeks and looking to get my omicron booster. Had two moderna pre-pregnancy. Not worried about myself but hoping baby will get some antibodies from the shot. Will also be getting the flu shot and tdap. My 1st August baby was sick enough his first year and he was already a few months old come the height of flu/cold season. I'll do anything help my newborn through it! 
    Just my opinion though - but weren't some of the naysayers saying these shots were supposed to also make you infertile? Love telling them they were wrong on that on! To each their own right! 
  • bustabucketbustabucket member
    edited September 2022
    @Wishilivedinflorida while I can totally understand folks’ concerns, I’m with you 100% on this take. Working in the hospital during COVID-19…well…let’s just say I’ll do what I need to to avoid the heightened risks.
  • @megsmith27 I’m 19 weeks and just got mine earlier this week. Both for my baby after he’s born and for protecting the placenta in the meantime. The association between Covid infection and IUGR/preterm birth/stillbirth worries me more than my own health.
  • Agreed, I also got my second booster and flu shot this week
  • 20 weeks pregnant no Covid vaccines, tested positive last year around Christmas, ended up being asymptomatic. I’m a stylist and see anywhere from 10- 15 people a day plus coworkers and family, been around many people with Covid and haven’t caught it again or ever been sick for it. also haven’t been sick with a cold, fever etc since the pandemic started. 
    To each their own and whatever makes you feel safe, I am glad my body is as strong as it is naturally.
  • Had two Pfizer and a Moderna booster pre-pregnancy and then omicron (extremely mild) in Jan 2022. Will be getting the bivalent booster here in a few weeks to maximize antibody transfer to the baby (due in Feb). 
  • Now that’s it’s available to everyone, I asked my doctor again if it’s recommended. She said yes. So, I’ll be getting the bivalent booster in a week or two.
  • @karbaud I got mine a couple weeks back and it went totally well. I always get tired and achy the next day but it wasn’t as bad as before, maybe because pregnancy blunts the response a little? Who knows. 
  • @Wishilivedinflorida, good to know! I got the flu shot last week, and my arm was sore for 1.5 days. I’ve never felt a sore arm after a flu shot before. So, I was expecting the worst for the covid booster! Lol. Hopefully, it’s pretty mild this time.