2nd Trimester
Options

Does anyone else struggle to only sleep on their left side?

I usually toss and turn during the night. I’ve been struggling to sleep only on my left side and wake up often because my left arm and leg hurts from laying on it for hours. Does anyone have any tips or advice?

Answers

• Options
    Sleep on your other side.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    If you end up on your back its not an issue. My doc said that your body will naturally tell you to turn.  

Sleep on your right side, also.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My doctor said the same this as PP. I switch between right and left side all night and even at 32 weeks I still wake up on my back. I’m actually most comfortable on my right so that’s my preferred side. A pregnancy pillow helps too. 
  • Options
    katsumiikatsumii Just Joined
    I do!

I usually sleep on my right side. I do not have a pregnancy pillow yet. Do you have a pregnancy pillow?
  • Options
    All we can do is our best. My dr said try to sleep on the left side but right side is ok too. I rotate sides throughout the night sometimes waking up on my back. I don’t think anyone sleeps the entire night on their left side!
  • Options
    Same- I try to sleep on my left but I eventually get sore (always have). So I turn on my right. But I often end up on my back unintentionally. Lying on my back is the most comfortable position for me, unfortunately. It's the only position that doesn't make me achy and sore. So I just try my best to turn on my side whenever I wake up. I'm using a Boppy pregnancy pillow, which helps a little.
  • Options
    Yes, I sleep on both sides too (although I try to do the left one more) and am still sore! I can't imagine staying in one position all night! 
  • Options
    I also sleep on both sides and they hurt. I’ve started to put the pillow between the knees as they recommend and also do a foam roller on my hips from time to time to release the tension. 
  • Options
    I read a pregnancy myth book and it said that the human species couldn’t have survived 10,000 years if natural tossing and turning in sleep was that dangerous. That helped me feel better as I can never stay in just one side.
  • Options
    hspghspg member
    I have one of those big U shaped pregnancy pillows and sleep withthe "arms" of that tucked on either side of me. This way, when I do inevitably roll onto my back the pillow kinda props me up so that I'm not flat on my back and am instead on a slight angle. I'm only 18 weeks though so may need to adjust as I get bigger. It works great for now though!
  • Options
    I normally sleep on my left anyway even pre pregnancy but sometimes I do have to switch and often lay on my back because it seems to help my sciatic pain. I am only 14 weeks so my belly isn't super bumped yet.

I actually didn't know that it was recommended to sleep on your left. could anyone tell me why? I'm just curious. thanks!
  • Options
    I normally sleep on my left anyway even pre pregnancy but sometimes I do have to switch and often lay on my back because it seems to help my sciatic pain. I am only 14 weeks so my belly isn't super bumped yet.

I actually didn't know that it was recommended to sleep on your left. could anyone tell me why? I'm just curious. thanks!
    There's a large vein under the right side of your uterus (inferior vena cava). As your uterus gets bigger, the weight of it can compress that vein if you're lying flat on your back. That can cause lightheadedness and cut off circulation to you and your baby. Lying on either side should take the pressure off the vein, but since the vein is on the right side, lying in the left side moves the weight further away from it. They say around 20 weeks is when you should stop lying flat on your back.