Baby Names

Need help deciding my twins names

So I just found out I’m having b/g twins and I’ve been thinking of using the names Elliott-Jack Montgomery and Violet-James Monroe. Thoughts?

Re: Need help deciding my twins names

• EJ and VJ would be a bit matchup matchup for my taste. I like Elliot and Violet, so maybe one of them doesn’t have a double name, or you change one of the J names up.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Are you purposefully using the names Jack Montgomery and James Monroe in honor of the historical figures? If so, I'm curious on these choices. Jack Montgomery was a Cherokee who was honored for his service in WWII, but James Monroe is known for not treating the indigenous peoples well...
  • Loading the player...
  • Well so my first thought was that of the ppp, with them being historical figures- and conflicting ones at that. Beyond that, the names are incredibly long. You know they need to be able to write their names in kindergarten right? I think Elliot and Violet are adorable for twins but I’d drop the rest and go back to the drawing board for middle names, personally. 
  • I actually didn’t know about the historical figures I’ll definitely figure out a different name besides James Monroe, I’m still undecided on Jack Montgomery 
  • Wait, is the girls middle name going to be James? Or did I read the thread wrong? I’m personally an identical twin. My mom didn’t do anything special for our names but made sure they weren’t too similar. 
  • mb0112mb0112 member
    Elliot Jack and Violet James are fine although I'd much prefer a feminine middle name like Joy, Jane, June. I don't like adding the extra name that feels like a surname. 
  • What is the reason for the double middle names?  Sorry, but your poor daughter saunas like you just flapped a feminin name at the frond of a very masculine double middle name.  

I would be ok w/ Violet James Last Name.  But what you have now is not appealing.  

I love the Violet and Elliot combination, anyway.  
  • I’d also drop the Monroe/Montgomery but other than that they’re beautiful names!
  • Violet and Elliot are great names. I don’t know why you’re leaning towards a hyphenated first name. I know people with hyphenated last names and two of them have explicitly told me they hate it and wish their parents had just picked one name. I imagine it would be the same or worse for a first name. I think Violet James or Violet Monroe are both good names. But, as another person mentioned, having James and Monroe together sounds like you’re naming her after the not-too-well-liked President of the same name.

Is there a reason you like the hyphenated first names?
  • I think violet and Elliot are two similar. Imagine yelling for one of them…hard to distinguish between the two. But they are solid names and good choices if you must. 

And agree with the James Monroe comment above and the hyphenation. 

As a mom of two preschoolers, it’s hard enough trying to learn to spell a longer first name. Take it easy on the poor kids.