3rd Trimester
Options

Debilitating ribcage pain weeks 19 - 31 (still going)

Hello fellow third-tri moms

I have been dealing with really excruciating rib pain for 12 weeks now that hasn't let up. My doctor is not helpful in telling me what is causing it--she's suggested it's likely stretching of the ligaments and muscles in my ribcage and says it's normal, but while I believe her it's not dangerous, it is so incredibly painful and definitely not the normal pregnancy experience. It alternates between a sharp stabbing pain in my side right along my bra line (worst when sitting or laying on side) and an all-day really painful ache that encapsulates the entire rib cage but is more focused on the back of my ribs. It started 12 weeks ago isolated to my left side and now it's also on my right side. It's not my gallbladder, my doctor checked. It is not a cracked rib or the baby kicking--it doesn't hurt when breathing/coughing/etc, and is isolated to the side and back. Most all ribcage pain references I have found all talk about sharp shooting pain in the front area that is worst when coughing, but this is not what I have.

Has anyone dealt with this? I have found some measures that provide very moderate relief (taping, ice). I am prepared to (and can) deal with it for another 9 weeks at this point but I am completely crippled by fear that this will continue postpartum. It is so unbearable and I cannot even fathom how I could take care of a baby with this pain, especially since I can't sit or recline at all. I am so distressed that this won't go away and am looking for any reassurance from someone who may have experienced this before or is going through it now :( I just worry all the time that this pregnancy has destroyed my life forever because I truly cannot live this way, it is unbearable!

Re: Debilitating ribcage pain weeks 19 - 31 (still going)

• Options
    I don't know how much this helps, but I also have a sharp stabbing pain at my bra line (just on the right side.) I don't have high blood pressure or anything so the doctors aren't concerned
  • Options
    I’m dealing with similar rib/back pain. It comes and goes but seems to get worse if I’ve been sitting for much of the day, or if I’ve been on my feet too much.  I’ve found that certain yoga positions help—cat/cow, child’s pose and puppy pose.  Also I’ve been seeing my chiropractor regularly, she has been very helpful in suggesting certain stretches and positions that help alleviate some pain.

My OB said the same thing about ligaments stretching due to the baby’s position.  It’s my third pregnancy and I’ve never experienced this type of pain!  Sorry you’re going through this too, but know you aren’t alone mama!  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    aec69aec69 Newbie
    Hello! I am experiencing the same exact rib/back pain! Except it is mainly on my right side, but occasionally on my left. I have never met anyone else with the same pain and my OB never heard of it either but I assumed it was from my abdominal muscles stretching. I've been having it since about 12-13 weeks and I'm now almost 28 weeks. I can't sit up either and it's especially bad after eating. I have to always recline, and a massage gun helps.
  • Options
    Hi! I've been dealing with this too for months now. It's all nerve pain believe it or not. My ob told me to wear a bra with no wire and try to lay on my other side. Also, I find wearing under belly maternity pants has helped a lot bc it let's up on the pressure on my ribs. 

I thought it was an organ that was infected or something bc the pain was underneath my ribs. Come to find out our nerves are not on top of our ribs but under them. This is why people sometimes think they're having a heart attack and it's actually a bruised or broken rib. Also why I felt like the pain was deep and therefore mist be an organ!

Try to do what you can to keep pressure off that spot.  I've found stretching in the cat cow position has also really helped bc it dropped the weight of my belly off my rib cage for a bit.
  • Options
    I had this and yes it’s nerve pain. Ice packs and no bra! Or ice packs right under my bra was the only relief…
  • Options
    Yes! I just had this for like a month. Felt a nice pop when trying to stretch it out too and pretty sure I dislocated a rib in that process, which added to my pain. Doctor told me probably the loosening of my muscles and ligaments due to relaxin starting up in the body. 
    It’s been husband massages for me and tiger balm (my doctor approved of this) and Tylenol! It did eventually go away for me though recently, but I won’t be surprised if it comes back. Lol 
  • Options
    Yes please do share if people know. I have the same pain ine the bra line. It makes the left side painful to the touch. Nothing is releaving. I tried to ice it nothing then warm clothes nothing.