Baby Names

Weird association?

We're expecting a boy in October and boy names have been super tough for me (we had a long list of girl names but hardly any boy names!). The only name to really catch and hold our fancy has been Grant, but I am wondering if it's weird with our last name - Carey. I know Cary Grant was an old movie star and that's what some people in my family have pointed out right away. Do you think it's weird to name our boy Grant Carey? Is it too reminiscent of Cary Grant? My feeling is that most people won't know who that is by the time our boy is in school...what do you think?

Re: Weird association?

• I agree, I tend to think that most people being born now will have no association with the name Cary Grant. I doubt even many of the teachers and other adults will even make that association unless they or their parents are TCM fans
  • mb0112mb0112 member
    Cary Grant pops to my mind immediately. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I thought Cary Grant immediately. I'm in my mid-30s and have never really watched a lot of his movies but I definitely know the name. Maybe do Cory instead of Carey?
  • I have no idea who this person is (in my 40's) and had to look him up.  I had never heard of any of the movies he was in.  I really think you are fine!  There are a lot worse names out there.  I would have never associated this one. 
  • I’m 30 and have never heard of this person. An older generation might make the association but I don’t think most people would. Would it be a bad association anyways? Ds1 is Wyatt and my grandma and some other older family call him Wyatt Earp. It doesn’t bother either of us. People may find some weird association no matter what name you pick. 
  • m2am2a member
    I thought of Carey Grant immediately but if you and your husband love the name Grant, it should not matter what others think.
  • Haha “Carey” is the last name. I don’t think they can go with anything else! 

But I agree- I know the name Cary Grant… but I don’t know if my mind would go there without this post. I love the name Grant! 
  • I’m 25 and haven’t heard of that name before. Do what you guys like. I can guarantee no one will know who that is.
  • I totally missed it being the last name. Whoops. I honestly think it's fine. I think there may be some people who make the association but clearly based on this thread a lot of people don't know who Cary Grant is. Sleepless in Seattle mentioned him and an Affair to Remember so many times I knew who he was based on that but he was in so many classics that it's not a bad association. He was a very talented and handsome man. That's a positive association.