Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

6 week old sleep struggles, please help

My girl is 6 weeks old and is a great baby. During the day, she only cries when she’s hungry and sleeps wonderfully but at night it’s like a switch flips. From about 11pm - 2 am she will grunt cry and squirm. She will only sleep in 10-30 min increments and usually only in my arms. She’s not hungry, I offer her a feed but she doesn’t want it.
Can someone help me? Mostly, does this sound normal or do I need to call her pedi?

Re: 6 week old sleep struggles, please help

• Options
    edited May 2022
    My girl is 6 weeks old and is a great baby. During the day, she only cries when she’s hungry and sleeps wonderfully but at night it’s like a switch flips. From about 11pm - 2 am she will grunt cry and squirm. She will only sleep in 10-30 min increments and usually only in my arms. She’s not hungry, I offer her a feed but she doesn’t want it.
    Can someone help me? Mostly, does this sound normal or do I need to call her pedi?
    Gas/reflux? Sounds normal as their digestive system is still developing. Doesn’t hurt to ask the pediatrician. We used the mylicon gas drops and bicycle kicks/abdomen massage before bed. Babies also have a “witching hour(s)” when they’re younger so that could be it. You just gotta try some things to see what works. Eventually they grow out of it. 
  • Options
    I agree - totally normal. My 4 week old witching hour is around 8pm-10pm. Sane thing with squirming and grunting and sleeping in my arms. They're working through their digestion and gas and just want to be cuddled near mama while they do which is why it's hard for my husband to console him during that specific time.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm currently having this problem with my 4 week old. It's been like that since he's been born. I use gripe water, mylicon drops, and acid reflux tablets. Now, I'm watching what I eat to see if that's the problem. 
  • Options
    I’ve heard that this kind of switch is due to the baby’s system starting to come off the residual melatonin from pregnancy but not starting to produce their own yet. I can’t remember where I read it. If you think it’s significant I wouldn’t hesitate to call you pedi because you and your baby can’t go too long without a good nights sleep. Good luck!
  • Options
    Babies under four months old should not ingest anything other than breastmilk or formula unless instructed by their pediatrician. Herbal supplements, like tea, is warned against by the American Academy of Pediatrics. Here is an article from National Capital Poison Center (AKA Poison Control) about the dangers of teas for children under four months old. https://www.poison.org/articles/dont-give-herbal-supplements-to-infants
  • Options
    We were having very similar problems and our pediatrician said to make it clear when it is daytime vs nighttime. So opening up the blinds, curtains, windows, making noise, having clear signs that it’s daylight and then closing the curtains, quieting your environment when it is nighttime. The grunting and crying is most likely just gas/reflux and we have started our little guy on probiotic drops (recommended by our pediatrician) to help with the immature digestive system and that has been working great, as well as gripe water and sometimes mylicon drops if he is extra fussy. Lots of snuggles and love during this time. You got this mama! 
  • Options
    You can look at Taking Cara Babies (https://takingcarababies.com/blog) or Flourishing Life Books (https://www.flourishinglifebooks.com/store/p/postpartum-essentials-book-bundle). They have good resources for mamas and babies sleep. It's so hard but let's take it one day at a time! We got this!!