2nd Trimester

EIF on the heart

How common is this I have to go to a high risk OB but the nurse practitioner said it resolves on its own but still nervous about this anyone else have this happen to them I’m having a baby boy 💙 And NIPT test came back negative for everything! 

Re: EIF on the heart

• edited July 2022
    My first daughter (born in 2019) had this along with another soft marker and a VSD (hole in her heart). I was completely freaked out and worried there would be a major problem. I got an amniocentesis, and three weeks later I learned that her chromosomes looked completely fine.  From what I understand, EIF is not a problem in itself, but can sometimes be associated waith different chromosomal abnormalities.  I have a totally healthy 3-year old and am pregnant with my 2nd.

Now, I've heard that a lot of doctors don't even recommend amniocentesis when they find soft markers anymore because they are so common. Apparently, they're finding them more and more as ultrasound technology improves. I hope that gives you some reassurance. I remember looking for some comforting information online at the time and finding nothing.

Also, that's great that you had a low-risk NIPT! The odds of something being wrong are even lower, then. I hadn't had an NIPT with my first (just the combined screening), and I really regretted not getting it done! I hope seeing the high-risk OB gives you some comfort. Meeting with a genetic counselor was also informative for me.

Good luck and take care!
  • My daughter was born with heart issues as well. Agree with pp, EIF can be a marker but it doesn’t always mean something serious. 1 in 100 babies are born with some sort of heart defect, but only 25% require some intensive surgery. My daughter fell into that camp- medicine is amazing - she is a healthy 4 year old. 

The meeting may feel overwhelming, if you meet with a genetics counselor please keep in mind that they tend to be a bit pessimistic! Bring someone to support you. Sorry you are going through this mama- I know how scary it can feel.
  • Loading the player...
  • I had one of these show up on my ultrasound too- my Dr isn’t doing anything for follow up bc he said it’s normal (as in not uncommon) and there’s nothing else that would indicate a problem. I am sure any follow up is just to be sure that there aren’t any issues! But definitely stressful, I was a little overwhelmed when I first researched what it was!