1st Trimester

I should be over 8 weeks but doctor says only 5 weeks??

Hi! I had my first ultrasound this week and now I’m so worried. I had my LNP on 4/28 and my ovulation tests were positive 2 weeks later. This should make me over 8 weeks pregnant but the ultrasound showed I was only 4-5 weeks. They could only see a yolk sac. I got my first positive pregnancy test on 5/22, which would mean I got a positive before I was even pregnant. Does anyone know how this could happen? I’m so worried something is wrong, but the doctor didn’t seem concerned she said I probably had my dates wrong, which I know I didn’t.

Re: I should be over 8 weeks but doctor says only 5 weeks??

• You can have multiple LH surges before you ovulate, which is what the strips measure. You either ovulated later or the baby may have stopped growing sometime in between. Only beta testing and a follow up US can tell you which.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Oh no! I'm sure if you're marking and tracking all of your dates then that would of been very frustrating and worrying to hear. If the doctor isn't concerned then I'd try not to be too stuck on it, but perhaps request additional growth tracking ultrasounds to make sure they're growing correctly as per the new timeline. 
  • Loading the player...
  • This happened to me with my very first pregnancy. I was measuring 5 weeks but should have been about 7.5 weeks. My dates were spot on (no idea when I ovulated but I knew my LMP and two positive pregnancy test dates that were absolutely correct). Unfortunately, that baby stopped developing at around 7 weeks and I miscarried. I do know that measurements can be off by a couple of weeks with no concerns. Best of luck to you and keep us posted!