Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Could my baby be teething?

My LO is 3m 3w old, and has been showing signs of teething (fussy, inconsolable, chewing everything, drooling, etc.) for about 2-3 weeks now.  Everyone from family, friends, and doctors have told me he isn't teething, I keep getting told "he's just too young."  I don't know what else this could be, and I am unsure what I can do to calm him.  Some days he is fine and is able to sleep through the night, other days he screams, and is basically inconsolable, and won't sleep unless I hold him all night.  He often grabs/pulls/pushes his cheeks, and ears, he doesn't have a fever and he has been checked for an ear infection already. 
Is it possible that he could be teething this early, or am I just overreacting to a fussy baby? 🙁

Answers

• calliahcalliah member
    Babies can have teething signs months before a tooth pops. I’m sure it’s not pleasant to have sharp pieces of bone working their way though your gums. 
    My 8 month old got his first tooth at 4 months and 3 weeks. Definitely possible he could be teething. Or he could just be fussy. You just never know until that first tooth pops up. 
  • My son is three months and three weeks or so, and has been doing the same thing. He always has his hands in his mouth chewing on his hands and drooling a ton. I’m not sure if he is teething, or he’s just eating his hand. Maybe this is normal around this time?
  • Loading the player...
  • My son started doing this around 2 months old. I asked the pediatrician the same question. She says teething can really start at anytime! Trust your instincts mama.
  • Trust your instincts! My baby began teething before 3 months & everyone told me it was too early. But now her gums are getting swollen & hard! So I finally just said she is teething & followed my instincts! She is 14 weeks old! It can happen! 
  • It's certainly possible they are teething, it's just unlikely because it's so early. They do start drooling more around 2-3 months and learning about their hands and how to put things in their mouths, which is often mistaken for teething. 
  • Babies can start "teething" as early as 2 months you just won't see teeth any time soon, the way it was explained to me by our doctor and our nurse was everything in the gums are shifting and moving around getting ready for teeth to come through but you still won't see a tooth before 6 months at least 
  • My 14 week old is doing the same exact thing. I actually just got on the discussion board to see if anyone was going through something similar! I am treating it as teething whether or not people say it is “possible” because it definitely is. My aunt said that her kid (now grown) had eight teeth by the time he was four months old! Trust your instincts and giving your LO a teething toy doesn’t do any harm! 
  • My boy just got his first tooth at 18 weeks.  He was teething for a couple weeks before that.  Definitely possible!
  • I have read some information that states they chew on their hands starting sometime in the second month. It's a common behavior as they are learning to self soothe and they haven't started to pick things up yet - their hands are the only "toy" they have in the beginning. Drooling starts somewhere in there as well, and it is a sign of a healthy digestive system. They are precursors to teething, and yes he could be showing early discomfort as things start to shift around in his gums, but they're also signs of other factors as well. 
  • My baby boy has been doing the exact same for the past 3-4 weeks and he just now turned 4 months. A week ago, two little blisters showed up on his bottom gums near the front. My sister was like "Have you seen any teeth yet? It's usually like 24 hrs of Hell then a tooth pops up!" She has 2 kids. But boy was that incorrect. It's been 24/7 for the past 3-4 weeks. I see every sign. The white line on his gums. The biting hard on his and my fingers, the blisters, the inconsolable screaming, etc. and NO TEETH. How long can this last? I feel so bad for baby