2nd Trimester
Options

Confused

So I had a really strange experience. I wanted to share incase maybe someone else has experienced something similar. So this is my 3rd pregnancy. I’m extremely sick. I need to to be on medicine or I throw up all day long. I might have experienced some nausea for maybe two weeks with my other two but I’m now 13.5 weeks and it’s still so bad. I also had a very early pregnancy test around 4 weeks and I’ve felt movement since 9 weeks but that may be irrelevant. Since I’m so sick I kept joking around about the possibility of it being twins but I never took it very seriously. I went in for an exam and was telling my doctor about how sick I am. She then asks if I had an ultrasound, which my doctors office only allows you to have one at 20 weeks. So I obviously responded no, to which she said to me, “there might be more then one”. I was in complete shock she even suggested this and told me I felt like I was measuring further along and got me in to an ultrasound that day. The ultrasound sound tech legit looked at the screen for one second and said it’s one. She then continued to measure the baby and so forth. Told me my baby matched my dates but my uterus did not. My uterus was measuring around 18 weeks when I was only 13.5 weeks.Then continued to ask me why I thought there might be more then one. To which I told her the doctor suggested it, due to my serve sickness and measuring large. Now I’m so confused and I have anxiety so badly! Has anyone had an issue like this ? Could she have missed a twin ? Could there of been one and it vanished? Or is there other causes to symptoms I’m having. I go back Monday for blood work. I just have so much anxiety waiting for answers. I just want to know my baby and I are healthy :( 

Re: Confused

• Options
    I highly doubt the u/s tech missed a baby. Other causes for your symptoms? Yea, having one baby. Look up Princess Catherine, the Duchess of Cambridge. It’s well known that she suffered from extreme morning sickness in all her pregnancies and only ever had singletons. Some women with twins have worse symptoms, some do not. It’s not proof of twins. 

As far as your uterus measurement, it could be lots of amniotic fluid, it could be fibroids, it could be how the baby is positioned, it could be your size. 

They said it could be twins, they gave you an u/s to check, they discovered that it’s not twins, and that’s that. I’d trust your providers at this point. 
  • Options
    Sorry, but you don't have twins.  I am honestly suprised that your doctor even mentioned that! 

I know someone w/ both of her pregnancies was hospitalized multiple times for both kids due to severe sickness through BOTH pregnancies.  The only thing that relieved her symptoms was birth.  

An ultrasound tech wouldn't miss a twin as far along as you are. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I didn’t think I was having twins lol nor do I want them. I was sharing my experience. I have a 10 month old and 2 year old at home trust me! But I was given a panic attack by my provider. Seriously a full blown panic attack, I almost passed out. I trust the ultrasound tech but I’ve never had morning sickness with my other pregnancies. It’s normal to have it with others but not just one. I had to be hospitalized because I can’t keep anything down and now my uterus is abnormally large. I’m just frustrated. I’m frustrated my doctor even said that to me, and there’s no answers to why this is happening. I just have to sit here and wait. I feel neglected. 
  • Options
    Again I understand people get morning sickness, with one pregnancy. But if it happens to one it’s most likely to happen with others…. Not my case. I wasn’t sick at all with my others. When I had to be hospitalized, from dehydration with this one. I didn’t believe I was having twins and I do not want them! I’m just frustrated I was made to get an ultrasound as if something was wrong with me and I’m left with no answers to what the problem is. That’s why I asked if anyone else had something similar experiences that had happen to them that explains this. I have bad anxiety and now feel like something is wrong. But thank you for your feedback.
  • Options
    Every pregnancy is different. You could have horrible morning sickness with your first and have virtually no symptoms with the second. If you are experiencing anxiety in your pregnancy be sure to speak to your doctor and there are some medications that are safe to take, or they may change the way they speak to you about things to be cognizant of that.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    Every pregnancy is different and it’s totally normal to have morning sickness in one and not another. I was the sickest in my third healthy pregnancy and not sick at all in my first. 
    Also, if you have a 2yo AND a 10mo at home, there’s a solid chance your uterus never got to go back down to normal size and that’s why you’re measuring bigger. 
  • Options
    I can vouch that you will measure bigger if your body doesn't get a break. I had a similar situation with my third and turns out he was just really gigantic.