Infertility

First IVF Cycle

Hello ladies,
This is my first ivf cycle. I was put on birth control pills after my baseline ultrasound. On 24th September, I started my meds. My recent ultrasound shows only 7 follicles. We are at a confused state, as 7 is a very low number. What do you think ladies? Is 7 a good number to move forward? Please pour in your thoughts, it helps.

Re: First IVF Cycle

• Maybe I'm not tracking -- did your baseline show 7 follicles or you had 7 measurable follicles after 5 days of stims? Either way 7 is not a terrible number in my opinion.  It's not the highest but I definitely see people contemplating whether to cancel when they only see 2-4.  Do you think there's a reason (age/AMH/dosage of FSH?).

For comparison if that's of interest I showed 9 follicles at baseline (day 4 of my cycle before stims).  I don't have a day 5 comparison but by day 7 of stims I had 20 showing.
  • Hello ladies, I don't think 7 is too bad. Also, I am trying to keep in my mind that even 1 with high quality is enough so maybe you can try and focus your mind in that as well? 
  • Loading the player...
  • Ideally, patients will want to have around ten follicles before ovulation is triggered with fertility drugs. It's possible for the treatment to be performed with fewer than ten follicles, and a successful result can still be achieved. It totally depends on your age. If you're older, you'll have fewer follicles than someone who's younger. On average, women in their mid-20s to early 30s have around 12 to 30 antral follicles, while women aged 35 to 40 may have between 8 and 15, and women aged above 40s may have somewhere between four and 10.