1st Trimester

Beginning pregnancy overweight

Hi everyone ! This is my first pregnancy and I was hoping to see if anyone else is going through similar feelings as myself. Coming into this pregnancy I am at the heaviest weight I have ever been in my life. I am 5’4” and weigh about 165 lbs. As excited as I am about being pregnant, I can’t help but feel that to have a healthy pregnancy and delivery I need to focus on losing weight (I know this probably sounds crazy). I look at myself in the mirror and wonder if I will I will ever accept my body as this pregnancy continues on. Just looking to see if any other expecting mamas are going through the same thing.

Re: Beginning pregnancy overweight

• b_1029b_1029 member
    I started my pregnancy a lot heavier than my first so understand the feelings. Now isn’t time to try and lose weight. Just try to eat relatively healthy and be as active as you can and you’ll be fine. And as always talk to your doctor with any concerns or advice. 
  • I’ve never heard of a doctor or midwife recommending losing weight while pregnant. Certainly, they may recommend eating healthier or being more active, but weight loss while pregnant isn’t a thing. I suppose it’s maybe possible (I know someone who only gained three pounds her whole pregnancy because she did a hardcore diet revamp to manage her GD without meds) but even she didn’t actually lose weight.
  • Loading the player...
  • Talk to your doctor about your concerns. I'm Obese and my doctor said it wasn't a problem if I wanted to work on losing weight still as long as it was in a healthy way. My 1st pregnancy I gained 15lbs the whole time but had a 9.5 lb baby so given all the extra fluid and body in me I ended up losing weight. Like I dropped almost 30lbs after I delivered her. 
  • Hey!! I’m definitely feeling that. I’m 5’7 and 213 pounds. I’ve tried for awhile to lose weight and Im so nervous about my body during the pregnancy.
  • I feel you on that. I did IVF , 4 yrs back first attempt didn’t work . Very depressing . Waited 4 yrs and decided to see a nutritionist and get myself in a healthy state for a positive pregnancy. Lost 20lbs I was originally 185lbs. To make you laugh doesn’t matter because once they pumped me with progesterone and etrace I put it back on . But I’m happy to say I’m pregnant. I will say this , after speaking to my nutritionist, 1st trimester I can diet still . But after that I only have to worry about adding 300 additional calories. It doesn’t hurt to look into a nutritionist who specializes in these things . It’s tough to start heavy . But you just have to focus on your well being and make sure your getting the nutrients you need and focus on low impact exercises .
  • I was 290-295 with both my pregnancies and I was fine (5'9 FWIW). I mean it wasn't ideal but I didn't have any major issues. My biggest weight-related problems were gestational diabetes and pre-eclampsia. I was closely monitored and followed my prescribed diet, kept a log of my blood sugars, etc. I also had moderate sleep apnea. All this resolved when I gave birth. You're nowhere near that heavy so I don't think you have anything to worry about :)
  • I’m 5’4 and started my second and third pregnancies at 165. My doctor never recommended loosing weight and actually still recommended gaining 20-25lbs. I asked her about the proper thing to eat because I can gain weight just looking at food, and she recommended lean meats, complex carbs, and lots of veggies. This is definitely a discussion you should have with your doctor. In pregnancy there are lots of body changes and I’m sure you will be beautiful no matter what. 
  • This being my 4th pregnancy I'm the heaviest I've ever been I'm also 5'4 But I weigh 191 and I'm dealing with high blood pressure as well I'm trying to change my diet but I'm freaking out that I'm going to be like 220 by the end of my pregnancy
  • I am in the exact same boat as you. Im trying my hardest to make sure I keep walking and stay hydrated. Morning sickness just started so that hasn’t been fun. So I would just keep being mindful of what you eat and at least walking everyday! :) even if you don’t lose weight, you will feel better mentally if you stay active friend! A lot of my friends hVe lost like 5-10 lbs first trimester just eating better/walking because they didn’t prior! 
  • I was around 260lbs. when I got pregnant and I'm 5'3 (and was 38 y.o. at the time) while unaware of your age, just be aware of preeclampsia. 
    Not to scare as "what happened to me could happen to you" especially as you are not near what I weighed, but obesity is one of the risk factors for that. So if you fall under any other risk factors, you may require closer monitoring. 
    One plus is with being overweight and pregant is that you may gain much less than others that are thinner. I only gained 11lbs throughout my pregnancy and my LO was born at 4.9lbs.
    Due to preeclampsia and early though. 

You are hopefully more in the clear, but I suggest learning about that if you aren't aware. 
    I wish I knew more and paid more attention to my body as I waited and made excuses for my headaches that I just hadn't gotten enough sleep, etc. And stress, until the pain in my side and was told "we're inducing you now". 

The danger is that preeclampsia can be harmful, possibly fatal for you and the little one. 
    I had preeclampsia HELLP which had its own slew of ..what I didn't wish for ever and would never want anyone else to go through. 

I hope you and your baby/babies are healthy and happy the whole way through!!! 

Do keep in mind too that weight also isn't a determinant in health. What I mean is that the stress is what to keep down the most.
    Stress during pregnancy can do a lot of damage, and really anytime stress can do the damage--on sleeping, and influencing what we eat, and if we would choose to go outside or not, and our overall mood--Do not stress unnecessarily--weight means little in the end as long as you're otherwise healthy :)