Baby Showers
Options

Gestational Diabetes and Shower Desserts

I had an early diagnosis of gestational diabetes at 22 weeks. I was sad but not surprised -  I LOVE sugar! Sweet baby Jesus do I love sugar and getting pregnant just made it worse. But, obviously, I love my baby so I am taking the issue and diet plan very seriously and test when I am supposed to. (Just about 28 weeks now and I have not fallen off the wagon). But, I admit I had to toss out all of the sweet temptations in my home because I was so worried about falling off the wagon. I took comfort in knowing that if it wasn't in the house then I couldn't grab it in a moment of weakness. Only diet approved things are here and my husband and I don't go out to eat anymore. (I gave him all of my chocolate fudge pudding cups with tears in my eyes telling him to take them to work. It was a very emotional day.)

So, what the heck am I going to do at my baby shower? lol I'm not the odd ball in my family, everyone loves sugar! There will be cake and cupcakes and cookies and when I see them all I'm pretty sure I'm going to burst into tears. I know that asking for advice in this situation is rather dumb, 'just don't eat it; think of your baby'. I'm more or less asking if there is anyone out there to commiserate with, to feel less alone. What are some of your stories with diet struggles? No judgment here for set backs. This is one of the hardest things I've ever done.  

Re: Gestational Diabetes and Shower Desserts

• Options
    Asking for advice about this isn't dumb. I would sincerely hope your friends and family care enough about you to takes your struggles into consideration. Who is throwing the shower? Can you talk to them about this? I would suggest one of three things: first, there is NO problem with a sugar free shower! Offer fruit instead. Maybe a breakfast time would work to have foods that naturally are not sugary treats. Second, have the hosts make sure there are some things you can eat (can you have goodies made with Splenda? Are there dietician approved recipes or treats so you can have your version of cupcakes, and either everyone gets diet-friendly or you just have your equivalent. Finally, what works for me is if they have desserts that I don't like! Can't stand coconut? Macaroons and German chocolate cake it is! Don't like nuts? Have brownies with nuts. Ask the hosts to offer goodies that others may enjoy but you'll look at and not desire.
  • Options
    Talk to your doctor, but generally one day of indulgence won’t hurt the baby. Pair it with a lot of protein, water and maybe a little walk around the room afterward.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::