3rd Trimester

Evening Primrose Oil 50% effacd

Hello! I am just seeing if anyone has had luck and results with EPO. I am 37 weeks and at my 36 week appt I was 50% effaced. Just wondering how long it generally takes if you’re already halfway thinned out. TIA

Re: Evening Primrose Oil 50% effacd

• Do not try rushing things! Did you ask your doctor what he/she thought of it?  I read an older study by NIH and showed it does nothing to induce labor.  

Your kid will come when ready.  You can still walk around for a while at 50% effaced.   I was dilated at 4 field 4 weeks.  I finally went into active labor and 24 hours later, I was still at a 4.  

So don't try forcing something your kiddo is not ready for, nor is your body.  

• I’m interested in others’ thoughts and previous experience with this as well. I don’t have anything to add to your question - this is my first pregnancy and I’m at 30 weeks, but my OB suggested to start taking 1300mg of Evening Primrose Oil (vaginally, none orally) when I get to 35 weeks! 
  • Loading the player...
  • I will be talking with my ob about EPO tomorrow. I'm 35 weeks but I'm looking at having another big boy as far as head circumference goes. Having no complications means I can't request another medical induction till week 39. If I can convince him it's time before then maybe there is a chance I won't need any mechanical assistance or an emergency c-section by going all the way. From what I read EPO is only effective vaginally and can take 2-6 weeks so show any changes in the appearance of the cervix.