Infertility
Options

New to IVF (trigger failed IUI’s)

Hello Everyone!

Husband and I will be starting IVF next week. We’ve been ttc for two years. During those two years we’ve had two miscarriages (falling naturally pregnant), and 4 failed IUI’s, and a polyp removal surgery. It’s been an emotionally draining process thus far. All of our testing is normal, even AMH. I’m 32 he’s 34. After the failed IUI, including a back to back IUI we took a break. I’m starting stims next week with a possible retrieval for the third week of May. I’m scared, and I feel overwhelmed but I’m very happy that we are able to do this and for now I’m taking it day by day. Any advice, is anyone else starting stims next week? Thank
You

Re: New to IVF (trigger failed IUI’s)

• Options
    enaidsenaids member
    @strongwarrior hi there! Sending you lots of positive vibes as you get started with IVF. We have such similar journeys! 2 years TTC, 32 years old, 4 IUIs, we had a chemical pregnancy. Just know you're not alone!! 

We just did our egg retrieval on Tuesday so not too far ahead of you. This may just be me but I didn't think all the shots and retrieval we're as bad as I had anticipated. The emotional and mental strain for two years dreading that we might have to do IVF was a lot more exhausting than actually doing it. So far it really hasn't been too bad. Now we're in a waiting period for awhile until we can transfer in June so this might be the grueling part. 

Feel free to ask any questions if you have them as you get started! You got this!! 💪
  • Options
    Hi! Thank you for your response. How many eggs did they retrieve if you don’t mind me asking you? We’re also doing a FET with a possible transfer at the end of June or early July. We’re also going for PGT testing as well. Excited, but overwhelming. Thank you so much for your response, I greatly appreciate it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    enaidsenaids member
    We had
    13 eggs retrieved
    11 were mature
    8 fertilized
    All 8 are still growing as of the Day 3 embryo status!! We're super excited so far, but I have said we will be happy with anything greater than 0! 

Are you able to do a transfer the cycle after your retrieval? My clinic is making us wait an entire cycle of nothing in-between which is why it'll be like 6 weeks from egg retrieval until I start my cycle that we'll do the transfer in. Meaning probably at least 8 weeks between retrieval and transfer. The wait takes so much longer than I had thought 😕

Wishing you the best of luck with upcoming stims! Try numbing with an ice pack before injections. That helped me! 
  • Options
    Hello!
    We had the egg retrieval on May 18

18 eggs retrieved 
    13 Fertilized
    7 made it to blast

we’re currently waiting for PGT results 

unfortunately we won’t be able to transfer this cycle 🥺. My TSH levels are high, this really put a damper on things. I do suffer from thyroid issues, it can take up to 8 weeks to regulate my TSH. Hopefully we can do the FET by August. When is your transfer?
  • Options
    enaidsenaids member
    Congrats! That's so exciting that you ended up with 7!! 

We ended up with 3 genetically normal embryos. And depending on when my next period starts we'll do a transfer end of June or end of July. My clinic is closed the first two weeks of July so if my cycle goes long then we'll have to wait until July to start our transfer cycle. We're so ready!

I hope your waiting goes by quickly! 
  • Options
    Hello enaids!

That’s fantastic! The waiting is definitely hard, we’re almost at the finish line. I was contemplating on whether I should have an ERA test done prior to my transfer since my transfer most likely will be at the end of August. The doctor said wait until we have the final report on the embryos, that’s this week. Have you considered doing this test?

• Options
    There are many reasons behind the failure of IUI. Some of the common causes for failed IUI are endometriosis, poor sperm quality, decreased ovarian reserve, poor egg quality, etc. IUI failure is a common fright for couples who are trying to conceive. 1st is infertility, then the chances of a failed fertility treatment. Together these 2 can cause a devastating effect on the couple Although the decision does vary from patient to patient, it is common for patients to progress to IVF treatment after they have had three to four failed IUI treatments. When comparing the results of IUI with IVF, IVF has a much higher success result as compared to IUI.
  • Options
    Hello enaids,
    We ended up with six genetically normal embryos. I don’t know if I would like to have the ERA test or not.
  • Options
    Hello!
    The IUI failures were devastating on my mental health. I even had a back to back IUI. We currently finished our first cycle of IVF and waiting to transfer after my TSH goes back to normal.