Formula Feeding

Switched formulas, baby’s poop is dark green.. normal ?

My daughter is now 7 weeks old and I just changed her formula from Enfamil Newborn to Enfamil Gentlease two days ago. She was pooping the normal mustard yellow and now she just poop dark green out of nowhere.... The Enfamil Newborn would cause her to be in excruciating pain every time she has to pass gas or poop, her poop was mustard yellow which is considered “normal poop” but now that I changed her formula to Enfamil Gentlease she no longer cries when she passes gas or poops; her poop is dark green but the consistency is like creamy peanut butter.... Is this normal or should I be worried that it may be an allergic reaction ? 

Re: Switched formulas, baby’s poop is dark green.. normal ?

• My son has the same thing except he is uncomfortable trying to poop and toot. The dark green color is from the formula being iron fortified. My doctor was not alarmed and recommended the Gerber Soothe Probiotic drops to help with his discomfort. 
  • lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    edited October 2019
    Formula poops are often dark green and smooth. The ingredients in a "gentle" formula are quite different from the ingredients in a regular formula, so I'm not surprised the poop has changed. I don't see a formula labeled "newborn" on Enfamil's website, so I can't compare these specific formulas, but typically a regular formula will have lactose (cow's milk) as the main ingredient whereas gentle formulas typically have corn syrup as the first ingredient. 

ETA: ugh, zombie post!
  • Loading the player...
  • That's normal when switching to formula. It's like olive green. :D
  • as long as no blood and pain, its normal.  How to post in this group btw?
  • Maybe you should go ahead with Enfamil Reguline or Enfamil Prosobee if your baby is lactose intolerant. The best is to consult the pediatrics for the same before switching to any sort of baby formula.
  • jennessy87jennessy87 Just Joined
    Exactly...in addition..my doc said anything ranging from Yellow to brown is normal so anything black and tar like or white would be concerning In addition to what user said above. FYI. My 2 month old has had similar color poopies a few times.