December 2022 Moms

Gaining weight first trimester

janehoward929janehoward929 member
edited May 2022 in December 2022 Moms
I’ve read that you’re not really supposed to gain much in your first trimester, but I’m at 9 weeks and already feel huge— even my arms are noticeably way bigger! I’m sure everyone is different, but wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing this. This is my first pregnancy and I’m trying to embrace all the changes, but the amount I’ve gained already seems excessive!

Re: Gaining weight first trimester

• Are you just judging visually? Or have you stepped on a scale? 

They say 1-5 lbs in the first trimester is “normal”, but some can more and some gain none. Your first trimester is filled with bloating, hormonal changes, messed up digestion. 

Try to be kind to yourself. I’ve gained a few lbs and it’s hard getting dressed, I feel bloated and not my best self, but I also have to give grace. Third baby, I haven’t pooped in days LOL 
  • janehoward929janehoward929 member
    edited May 2022
    Yeah, I struggle with body image anyway, so this part is just going to be a little harder for me. I have gained a couple pounds on the scale, but I guess it is mostly bloating. I am going to try to use this as an opportunity to learn to love myself regardless. Lots of work to do!
  • Loading the player...
  • My first pregnancy I had CRAZY cravings and gained 15 lbs! Went from 135 to 150 and ended up at 190 at the end. I’m pregnant with my second now and weighed 136 when I got pregnant and haven’t felt great so haven’t gained weight this time… yet! You are going to gain so just roll with it and know your body will bounce back girlfriend 💛
  • hspghspg member
    I'm 10 weeks today and my scale keeps telling me that I've only gained a pound but my seamstress (wedding next weekend!) let me know weeks ago that my lower abdomen had definitely expanded, and thats ALWAYS the first place that I gain weight. I ended up taking a waist measurement and have only gained an inch so far. Also, none of my family has seemed to notice (and they have ALWAYS been critical of my weight) so it might just be all in our heads. I also feel HUGE already. Give yourself grace and focus on growing the healthiest baby you can. That's what I've been doing. 
  • @janehoward929 I hear you! This is my first, I’m at 10 weeks and I’ve gained 10 lbs. my girlfriend said she also gained the most in her first trimester and then the body sort of compensates. She also said by the 3rd trimester she didn’t eat as much bc the baby took up a lot of room so she slimmed down to a baby bump mostly. That’s what I’m counting on but am definitely getting ready to purchase a couple maternity basics in clothing next week. 
  • I've LOST weight during this first trimester according to the scale but my belly is much more jiggly and my waist is disappearing. I don't think it's a baby bump, I think it's the fact that I can only stomach junk food and sweets these days and meanwhile have had to cut down number of workouts, so probably have lost muscle and gained fat 😭
  • Gaining weight this pregnancy is gonna be rough on me, I know it. I started this pregnancy weighing as much as I did at 9 months pregnant with my first nearly 10 years ago (200lbs). So far,  I've been so nauseous and unable to eat that I've actually lost 12 lbs but I still feel big all over and clothes are so uncomfortable.... I'm in that in-between where insert maternity pants are too tight on my midsection, but full belly coverage materinty pants are constantly slipping down. Ugh.
  • Thanks for all the feedback. So good to know we are all in this together!! ❤️
  • I gained 10lbs right off the bat and have stabilized since week 5.  I'm 12w3d now and realize that it was reeeeaaallly heaving bloating.  It doesn't feel as bad now but idk maybe I'm just getting used to it? Also, I have a little baby bump at the end of the day (after multiple meals and lots of water) so the bloat doesn't make me feel as bad bc I know the baby is there and growing.  
  • jnwalls11385jnwalls11385 member
    edited May 2022
    I'm right there with you! I have also gained weight (about 4 lb so far) and I'm 9 weeks today with my first. I am surrounded by friends who are also pregnant and complaining that they lost 5-6 lb because they are so nauseated. I'm happy that I'm not as nauseated (when I am, I force myself to eat, and that does the trick and is probably also why I have gained weight) but feel alone in my weight gain. Had to switch to elastic waist pants already. Glad to hear I'm not!
  • I looked in the mirror as I worked out and didn't think I looked pregnant or anything but I've started telling people and they keep pointing at my belly, claiming to see a bump, and talking about how much weight I've gained. I only gained 4 lbs 😳