Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Missed miscarriage - options

Hi all.

I have just learned that I've had a missed miscarriage at my 7 week scan. Barely any progress since the scan last week where I measured 5.5w at 6w. I had a feeling this was coming. No bleeding or cramping, but I just knew.

Doc gave me a few options, and I'd like your thoughts, if possible.

1) Let nature take its course. Could take up to 4 weeks. I don't want to go this route
2) Medication. Could take up to 3 days, and has 90% success rare. Apparently can be painful
3) D&C. Immediate. Leaning towards this one.

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks

Re: Missed miscarriage - options

• samiw23  I'm sorry for your loss.  I've had 5 MCs, 4 of them naturally started on their own.  One of them I had a D&C with, and that is honestly the route I'd choose.  I mean, there can always be complications to a procedure.  But it had less pain and was the easiest route I believe.  Just make sure you take it easy for a few weeks afterwards.
    *TW All the Loss* #BitterHagPartyOf1

October 2015 - 1st MC.  7-8 weeks along. Suspected molar PG, but luckily just a MMC.

June 2016 - 2nd MC: 4-5 weeks CP

September 2016 - 3rd MC: 4-5 weeks CP

RE 1: ALL the testing - 'unexplained'  "Yinz can do IVF or try on your own"

Feb 2017 - 4th MC: 6 weeks

RE 2: More tests. Still 'unexplained.'  Called fat for an entire hour-long appointment, cried a lot

Feb 2019 - 5th MC: 6-7 weeks

IUD - March 2019-March 2023

RE 3:  Repeat all the tests. Hoping to try IVF.

• samiw23samiw23 member
    Update: I went in for the d&c yesterday, and it didn't work... Apparently my cervix was so tightly shut (despite the pre-procedure meds) theat the doc couldn't get into the uterus. She tried for 30 minutes, but canceled before she did any permanent damage. Now I have to wait it out... if nothing happens over the next few days (I have no cramps or bleeding other than from the procedure) I'll give her a call next week to try the meds. FML. I'm really quite over this...
  • Loading the player...
  • I’m going through the same thing :( measured 6.1 weeks when I thought I was 8.3, then I waited a week and went in yesterday and measured 5.6 weeks so that’s even worse. This was my first pregnancy. Wishing you all the best ❤️❤️❤️
  • I had a MMC in November and took Misoprostol. This was recommended by my doctor and the entire process from start to finally passing the pregnancy took 3.5 hours. It was very painful, I threw up all my pain meds. Had I waited for the pain meds to digest I think it would have been much better. I’m so sorry for your loss 
  • I took misoprostol and had a good (if that's the word) experience.  Took it at night before bed, passed it a few hours later in the middle of the night.  It was painful but nothing too bad.  I am now facing what is probably another missed miscarriage (will find out for sure next week) and, if so, I plan to take it again. 
    TTC History:
    Started dating DH 2006 . Married 2015

TTC July 2015-November 2015
    BFP November 2015
    Baby boy born August 2016

Oops BFP February 2021
    MMC March 2021

Back on BC for a year to decide what we want to do.

TTC Since March 2022
    MMC June 2022

BFP September 2022 - Due June 2023!

• Hi everyone, I'm experiencing something very similar to what you are all going through, I'm supposed to be 11 weeks, and yesterday I went to my first ultrasound. The doctor did a transvaginal ultrasound but didn't tell me to come with a full bladder, so I didn't; when I got in the office, I immediately went to the bathroom to pee. She could see the sac and yolk when doing the transvaginal ultrasound, but there was no heartbeat or baby inside. I was also very constipated, and she couldn't see my right ovaries.

She instantly said that I had a blighted ovum pregnancy and explained my options for abortion. I was very disappointed because I wasn't expecting that; I feel very pregnant, and my belly had grown so much since my 7th week. I never had any bleeding ever since I first got pregnant. I thought everything was going well, I have also been taking my prenatal pills since I was 5th weeks pregnant, so I don't understand how this happened. I have a second ultrasound scheduled at the hospital on August 1st to confirm what she saw in the ultrasound. But I want to know what you all think about this? And if it should give me any hope. Waiting for this second ultrasound is a nightmare. I feel like I'm in limbo. Am I pregnant or not. Would an empty bladder have affected the results of how she viewed the ultrasound image? So many questions
  • @danielab1998 If you are supposed to be 11 weeks and there's no heartbeat or baby inside, then it doesn't sound like there is any hope.  It's not like you're off by a few days or a week.  You should be able to see a heartbeat around week 7, and you are way beyond that.  The second ultrasound is probably to confirm and/or decide if you should take meds or have a D&C.  I'm sorry for your loss.
    *TW All the Loss* #BitterHagPartyOf1

October 2015 - 1st MC.  7-8 weeks along. Suspected molar PG, but luckily just a MMC.

June 2016 - 2nd MC: 4-5 weeks CP

September 2016 - 3rd MC: 4-5 weeks CP

RE 1: ALL the testing - 'unexplained'  "Yinz can do IVF or try on your own"

Feb 2017 - 4th MC: 6 weeks

RE 2: More tests. Still 'unexplained.'  Called fat for an entire hour-long appointment, cried a lot

Feb 2019 - 5th MC: 6-7 weeks

IUD - March 2019-March 2023

RE 3:  Repeat all the tests. Hoping to try IVF.

• andah_andah_ member
    edited August 2022
    Hello all. Writing in here because I am feeling very lost and sad. I will be taking Misoprostol on Tuesday after I return from my trip (the one we were supposed to announce my pregnancy to my in laws). I found out on Tuesday that I officially miscarried. For 3 whole months we thought I was pregnant and that it was healthy. My referral process took way too long and I was stressing the whole time that the clinic couldn’t get me in and I was already 12 weeks along. Well it turns out that at 12 weeks we learned our little angel had stopped progressing at 7 weeks. 3 months of bonding with our baby that was never going to make it/had already miscarried. It feels like there is no one to talk to about this. I am also scared to take the Misoprostol Tuesday because of people saying how painful it was. This was my first pregnancy and it’s just something that you realize happens but never expect it to happen to you. It is like a bad dream that you don’t wake up from. I’m sorry you are all going through this kind of pain as well.