January 2023 Moms

Traveling while pregnant

When should you stop traveling while pregnant ? I’ll be a first time mom due in January, unexpected but still very excited! However, my sister is having a destination wedding in Mexico in November. I will be around 34 weeks then, but getting mixed answers if it’s still okay for me to travel. Has anyone else gone through something similar and what did you do?

Re: Traveling while pregnant

• ACOG recommendations: https://www.acog.org/womens-health/faqs/travel-during-pregnancy

That being said, I would never travel far that late in pregnancy. What if you have complications while there?
  • Talk to your dr to make that decision, you may be perfectly healthy and be fine, but any complications need to be determined by them. I’m going to be traveling in October and then I’m staying put.
  • Loading the player...
  • Traveling next month. 10 day cruise. And I’m terrified lol. I don’t think I’d travel at 34 weeks (or if they will even let you on a plane?). But ultimately it’s your decision. 
    TTC History:
    Started dating DH 2006 . Married 2015

TTC July 2015-November 2015
    BFP November 2015
    Baby boy born August 2016

Oops BFP February 2021
    MMC March 2021

Back on BC for a year to decide what we want to do.

TTC Since March 2022
    MMC June 2022

BFP September 2022 - Due June 2023!

• bwow615bwow615 member
    I would travel at 34 weeks pregnant. I would talk it over with my ob or midwife and if I was having an uncomplicated pregnancy I would go.  We may be planning a trip in November to celebrate my partners 40th birthday and combine it with one big awesome trip for my 7 and 4 year olds.  Thinking it would be our last big trip before the new babe arrives and rocks our world. 
  • I traveled at 32 weeks pregnant with the permission of my OB with my first but I wouldn’t do it again or any later. My second was during COVID so we didn’t go anywhere.  
    I also have high risk complicated pregnancies, so maybe if I was low risk I’d feel different 
  • Check with the airline too. Different airlines have different rules. Personally I probably wouldn’t feel comfortable traveling outside of the US that late into my pregnancy but everyone is different.
  • I traveled around 32 weeks pregnant after talking to my OB, but it was still in the US.  I probably wouldn't travel outside the US at that point in the pregnancy, but talk to your OB and see what they suggest.
  • I traveled at 30 weeks alone. I was really afraid. So I contacted customer service of my airlines here for the information and they provided it. They also helped me with everything all the time on board. If you have any doubts, just contact them for details and don't worry.
  • I’d personally still travel within the US at that point but not internationally. You have to weigh the realistic pros and cons and research medical facilities near where you’ll be. Important to know if they have a NICU. If you’re ok potentially delivering a baby early where the wedding is, and staying there a while, then you have more options. If not, politely decline and send an amazing gift. Also, your OB should be able to offer the best, most concrete advice. If you’re having an uncomplicated pregnancy you’re unlikely to deliver at 34 weeks but that’s fairly late to be international. Good luck deciding! 
  • edited October 2022
    Ask your doctor and go with her advice. They know your situation best. 
    I travelled internationally for a work conference while 36 pregnant by air with my first (that’s near the upper limit with most airlines). Was not a problem, but each person is different. Like others said, make sure there is a nicu facility wherever you go just in case.
    With my second, I prob would not fly so late, only because I wonder if subsequent births really do happen faster…🤔💭
    First time usually full term or a few days off, but go with your doctor’s advice, and good luck.