Baby Names
Options

Opinions on Valeria !!!

manta_raymanta_ray member
edited May 2022 in Baby Names
Hi!! 

FTM and due in November, so we don’t even know the gender yet, but my husband and I love the name Valeria for a girl. We have a few other girl names that we’ve agreed upon, but Valeria is our favorite. We don’t have any boy baby names yet, or middle names. We think that Valeria is a beautiful, timeless name, it’s uncommon but not unheard of (which is what we wanted), and it works with both English and Spanish (his family is mostly Spanish-speaking). We like that it has easy nicknames as well. We had agreed that we loved this name before I was even pregnant.

Usually when we’ve been announcing to people that I’m pregnant, one of their first questions is if we have any names picked out, and we’ve told a few people that we like Valeria for a girl. Their reactions have been pretty lackluster. They usually respond “…Valeria? Oh okay, that’s nice. Do you have any other names?” 

This has been a little discouraging. We still love the name, and will most likely use it if we’re having a girl, but I just wanted to see what other people think about it!! The only downside that I know of is that it rhymes with Malaria, but I don’t think this is a big problem, and it’s hard to find a name that we like that doesn’t have some teasing potential!!! 

Sorry for the super long post- tl;dr : My husband and I love the name Valeria, but our families/friends have been less than excited, so lmk what you think of the name!!

Re: Opinions on Valeria !!!

• Options
    mb0112mb0112 member
    Honestly I don't love it because it calls to mind malaria, or venereal. 
  • Options
    Too similar to Malaria... just Valerie is a cute name though!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    meggymemeggyme member
    My grandmother is Valera. It might solve the malaria correlation.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    Valeria is very musical sounding. I’d imagine some ppl might call her Val for short. 

If you love it then go for it!
  • Options
    I think it’s beautiful and hate when people let random word associations dictate how they respond. Malaria? We don’t even have to battle malaria in the us😂  I say go for it!
  • Options
    I love it! I taught a little girl with that name and it’s so beautiful. She’ll probably have to teach some people how to pronounce it and will get called Valerie sometimes but go for it!
  • Options
    I really like it, especially if you have Spanish speakers in the family. I grew up with a Valeria and I agree that it feels classic and timeless. I personally cannot AT ALL understand how people get to Malaria, it's like trying hard to find a bad meaning to me. I should add though that I am German, so maybe it's a bit more common in Europe. Valeria has a Latin origin and Latin names are considered prestigious and are making huge comebacks. This one isn't (over)used though.
  • Options
    I love it!!!