Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Introducing newborn to dogs: advice and experiences

Hi!

We are taking our son home tomorrow to our three dogs. My husband has been taking baby blankets from the hospital home for them to sniff and even took a wet diaper earlier today. They’ve reacted well so far. 

We’ve spent months preparing them for behaving around the baby, teaching “place” and keeping them off furniture and out of baby stuff. They’re really good dogs, I’m just nervous. 

I was planning on introducing them one at a time in the nursery because that’s the room we’ve been teaching them to be calm in already. One of us will hold the baby and the other will manage the dog, facilitating sniffs and guiding the process so as not to overwhelm either party. 

Anyway, do any of you have any advice or are you willing to share your experience bringing baby home to your pet(s)? 

Thanks in advance!

Re: Introducing newborn to dogs: advice and experiences

• Options
    Update: It went really well. One of my dogs has already decided it’s her baby, too. One kind of stays back curious but shy. One comes by for sniffs when she’s close or when LO makes noises but otherwise just does her thing. I’m so grateful for them.