September 2022 Moms

Product Spotlight: Bath Time 5/17

What stuff is worth it?  What couldn't you live without? What should we leave on the shelf?
Current pregnancy -
First BFP on 1/4/22.  Due date 9/13/22.

Four prior losses, no living children - 1 first trimester miscarriage, 1 blighted ovum, 1 chemical, and one extreme premature live birth daughter who died at 15 days old.

Re: Product Spotlight: Bath Time 5/17

• Not worth it: Baby towels and washcloths. Most of the "baby" washcloths and towels are paper-thin. I did have some washcloths from Target that I liked that were from the baby section. But as for towels, just save the money and use your regular towels. I registered for like 2 regular sized bath towels this time around.

Bathtub: I never had one of those flower cushions that go in the sink, but I've heard bad reviews. We just had a cheap "the First Years" bathtub and it worked great until baby could sit up in regular bath on her own. This one: The First Years Sure Comfort Deluxe Newborn-to-toddler Tub With Sling - Aqua : Target

• @whitta1015 I agree with you! The washcloths we initially got were so scratchy, I would hate them for my skin too. I did end up getting some nice soft ones that were labeled for babies but any soft cloth will do. I also have a similar plastic tub and it worked great. 

The only word of advice I can give on towels is I highly recommend getting a bamboo fabric towel. We didn’t have one right away and my baby hated being rubbed with a regular towel plus he had eczema since he was born and it got irritated anytime you rubbed his skin. Later on someone recommended bamboo and I found this baby towel on Amazon which is amazing. You just wrap your baby up, give them a nice hug, and the water is instantly absorbed without any effort. 

But they do outgrow them so quickly so if you can find an adult sized bamboo towel, even better. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @newbabymama27 Oh good call I didn't think about if a baby has particularly sensitive skin. I would also say to others, always pat their skin dry...never rub them with them any kind of towel.
  • @whitta1015 oh man! I was excited to try out the flower thing for sink baths. I never did sink baths with DS1 and I feel like I missed out on classic mom memories lol. I'll be trying it with DS2. We also just had the generic baby bathtub and it was fine.
    Must haves: water.
    I liked the little hooded baby towels just because he was so cute all wrapped up in them.
    Sometimes just taking a shower holding him was easiest to make sure both of us could get through in the beginning.  We never used one of those shower caps that keep the water out of the baby's eyes... He just got used to getting water on his face.
    I found that laying a little baby washcloth across his tummy helped keep him content longer between pouring water. I'm sure regular wash cloths work just fine for that too.
    I'd say skip any bath toys that have the holes in the bottom. Not worth trying to keep them clean inside, IMO. DS only every played with 1 or 2 at a time. I won't be overdoing it on bath toys this time around - just keeping it simple.
    I didn't buy a mat for kneeling, I just rolled up a towel to kneel on when he was teeny. When he got older and could sit up but needed to be supervised, I sat on a stool.
  • @maple1422 Yes to the bath toys. Some of them get so nasty on the inside!
  • I always preferred the bath chairs that I could fold up and put away. These also have covers that can be thrown in the washing machine if baby decides to have an accident in the tub. I'll be getting this one this time around:

https://www.target.com/p/the-first-years-sure-comfort-folding-baby-bather/-/A-83905653#lnk=sametab
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We had a collapsible tub (maybe boon?) For our first. I used it before her cord fell off a couple times. Once it fell off she was in the shower with me from then on out.

Benefits, bath goes faster, and you get showered at the same time. It's much easier to wash their bum when they're not sitting on it. Once baby can sit, they can play on the floor while you shower. Once my first could stand she got to take her own baths because she wouldn't stop poking my nether regions. My second Once she could sit, I put her in a laundry basket with her sister. It helped stabilize her, for this one, my cousin gave me her bath seat so we'll try that out when we have 3 and this one can sit. 

I prefer toddler hooded towels. The baby ones collected my hair terribly. When all your hair is falling out you need things that don't intertwine hair into the fabric. 

I'm not picky on soaps any baby soap I'll use my kids don't have sensitive skin. I also rarely use the lotions. 

Stacking cups are my kids favorite bath toys. 
  • @whitta1015 We put one of those little tubs on our registry.

Overall question... has anyone used microfiber cloths for bath time? We have LOADS of the yellow ones since my husband detailed airplanes as a part of his previous job and could only use each cloth once, so he ended up bringing them home.
    I learned that airplanes are suuuper expensive to repaint and the process is extremely particular because it affects weight and balance.
  • @pangolindrome my only thoughts on the microfiber for bath time comes from my cloth diaper knowledge. You can't put microfiber inserts directly on babies skin because it can irritate it and dry it out. I would steer away from it just because of that. Personally I just use my hands to wash my own body and I do the same for the kids. We do have wash clothes to wash faces when not in the tub, and they like playing with them in the tub. 
  • I liked this baby bath with my first when he was itty bitty! Angelcare Baby Bath Support - Gray : Target

This bath thermometer is amazing: mothermed Baby Bath Thermometer and Floating Bath Toy Bathtub Safety Temperature Thermometer Green Fish Only for Fahrenheit: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Looooove Tubby Todd for hair + body wash, lotion, and now bubble bath. We use the fragrance free one and it's been great on my son's sensitive skin! Body Wash & Bath Products For Sensitive Skin | Tubby Todd

• laj0217laj0217 member
    @lalarose22 I put that thermometer on my registry! My husband says I try to burn off my skin in the shower and I think he and his daughter take cold showers/baths, so clearly my gauge is off. Felt I needed it for safety!
  • @laj0217 haha that's perfect for you then!!
  • @lalarose22 I've now added that thermometer to our registry! THAT IS SO CUTE!
  • Definitely recommend baby washcloths. Not very pricy. Great for teething. Great for hot days. Wet, place in bag, and freeze, I carry in diaper bag on hot days. Great for spot cleaning baby when brand new. Great for wiping grubby hands once solids start. 
  • mk2022xmk2022x member
    @lalarose22 I added it too! So cute, thanks for the rec.

Also added the hooded bamboo towel (thanks @newbabymama27). FYI, it’s only $20.45 today - 41% off!
  • Has anyone used the Stokke Flexi Bath? We don't have a tub and I am not a fan of baths in the sink since I can get the bathroom warmer during bath times. I am thinking of getting the XL tub so babe can use it for a few years.

• @mamamoomoo12 I don't have it, but honestly, it looks like a viable option for your situation! Your other choice would be holding them in the shower, or a clothes basket in the shower.
    DD 10/2019
  • @mamamoomoo12 I didn’t have it but it looks like a really cool option! I was never brave like @trapperkeeper87 to shower with a newborn, they’re so slippery!
  • @newbabymama27 Ha ha ha ha! I was never that brave myself, but I have many friends who only bathe their babies that way.
    DD 10/2019
  • @trapperkeeper87 ok I’m glad I’m not the only one that’s too scared to do it then 😅 I made my husband do most of the bathing because it was so much easier for him to hold the baby since his hands are bigger.  
  • @newbabymama27 I'm that brave person. I shower with mine because it's so much easier. I'm more worried about them slipping when I have them in a tiny tub and I'm trying to wash them. In the shower I can use my whole body to hold them
  • We got a small tub from ikea which we still use. We borrowed a plastic bath seat when baby was small and used it until she could sit unassisted. I highly recommend getting one because of slippery babies. Also, soap isn't a necessity. It was recommended to us at the hospital to only use baby oil in the bath so we did that for about a year. Then I've just been letting her soak in the tub with just water (oil in her hair makes her hairs bands snap) and I've only been using soap recently because she likes the bubbles it makes when she rubs it on her belly. Babies don't need baths very often...like once a week. Of course you can give baths more often if you want, I didn't 😆 oh and using baby oil cuts back on dry skin without needing to use oil or lotion after the bath.
  • @mamamoomoo12 I got the Stokke Flexi Bath! It’s great! I like how the drain plug changes color with the water temperature so you know if it’s too warm. TBH, we’re still using it with our 18mo. I think we use less water than if we just put her in the tub.
  • @csardaszz That is awesome to hear! We are going to get the XL version, apparently it can be used through the toddler years. I am really excited he'll be able to have bath time and not just showers!