January 2023 Moms
Options

OBGYN vs. Midwife

I really want to take a holistic approach to my pregnancy so my husband and I are  considering a midwife instead of an MD if my pregnancy is low-risk. 

I have an appointment with my OBGYN for the pregnancy confirmation visit in June. I’ve only met with her a couple of times over the last few years so I don’t feel like I have a relationship with her really and wouldn’t mind “breaking up”.

Has anyone here taken the midwife route in a previous pregnancy? What was your experience like? Is it strange to start with MD and switch to midwife?

Any insight is welcome and happy to hear from first time mamas who are also looking into a midwife. Thanks!

Re: OBGYN vs. Midwife

• Options
    Thank you so much! I have my eyes on a hospital that offers both so this is great advice!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I worked for an OBGYN and also wanted to pursue Midwifery. Most OBGYNs will support your holistic approach but need to be hospital births. Midwives have to have masters in nursing as well as an additional 2 years in specific midwifery so they both have 8+ years of education.
  • Options
    I work in L&D. We have a handful of OBGYNs and one midwife. But honestly, our midwife works in the same manner as the OBGYNs. She isn’t your typical “crunchy granola” midwife. And she is our most popular provider. She delivered both of my keepers and will deliver this surro-babe as well. 

All this to say, don’t assume a midwife will be “holistic” based solely on their title.
  • Options
    crossd2008crossd2008 member
    edited May 2022
    I was planning on going to a midwife at my hospital but we're having twins so OB it is
  • Options
    Midwife all the way. I would go to war for mine. I feel like when people hear midwife they think of like a hag in the woods but she's full of medical training she just also encourages different birthing positions
  • Options
    I’m going with a midwife (and a homebirth for that matter) and I’m so excited about it. My husband and I watched the “business of being born” and did a ton of research into an area that I had honestly never considered. My last OB appointment sealed the deal for me when I waited for 2+ hours for a five minute appointment where she asked me ZERO questions about myself, history or even a what to expect convo about getting my IUD removed or as my husband and I were starting our TTC journey. From literally everything I’ve heard and read, midwifery care is the complete opposite. And you don’t have to have a homebirth to have a midwife! Like someone else said, some practice in a hospital setting, others are at birth centers and some will do homebirths. Can’t recommend strongly enough a podcast that I LOVE called Happy Homebirth. It’s just women telling their birth stories and sometimes professionals related to maternal care (nutritionists, chiropractors, midwives & doulas, you name it). It’s a super educational and uplifting podcast 😊
  • Options
    I’ve had births with nurse midwives (who practiced very differently from one another) and used a traditional midwife for my last birth which was at home. I had a good experience with my second CNM at my second birth and that led me to my eventual home birth. It’s by far been my best/favorite experience. Planning a homebirth again for this pregnancy.
  • Options
    I I had a midwife with my first and had an amazing experience. I also worked as a labour and delivery nurse so I felt like I didn’t want an OB because I worked along side then at the time lol in my area the midwives and OBs are both highly regarded they just practice a little different! I’m really into like essential oils and soothing music and water therapy during labour/birth so a midwife was definitely a better fit for me! Also in my area an OB is always also at hospital if things go south. The midwives in my area are also first assist during c-sections so even if you need one they are with you the whole way!