October 2022 Moms

Product Spotlight: Diaper Bags

Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product. Feel free to comment on threads like these throughout your time at the board, not just when they're in their week in the spotlight, if you discover something new OR are new to the board. This week it's.... Diaper bags! 

FTMs are encouraged to ask questions & STM/+s encouraged to share their knowledge based on experience.

Re: Product Spotlight: Diaper Bags

• I've had many diaper bags over the years. I truthfully just prefer a good stroller bag that sits in the handles that can easily detach. I'm an over-preparer so I typically have a huge packed diaper bag with changes of clothes, wet bags, extra wipes, snacks for the rest ETC. Then I have a good out changing pad that fits the emergency stuff for quick trips into places. The diaper bag will typically stay in the car at all times and I will restock that. I'm trying to remember my favorite diaper bags. My friend has a Lily Jade and she absolutely loves it. I personally think it's too expensive. 
    We have a Chicago Bears one that we keep stocked for my husband. A lot of my friends love the back pack kind. 
     I think it breaks down to preference. I will say I love my current diaper bag but the customer as device was so terrible I would never recommend it. I assume the place has gone our of business by now. I'm looking for a more structured diaper bag this time but I definitely prefer a tote style.
  • https://mbkrauss.com/collections/diaper-bags-1/products/bag-3-classic-diaper-tote-in-grey

I have this. I love it and it fits so much. It has a ton of pockets BUT four years ago their customer service was absolute trash. I've seen them half price brand new on Poshmark. 
  • Loading the player...
  • For my first, we had a hand-me-down bag from my sister that was fine. For #2, my mom got me a JuJuBe and I’m in love with it. They aren’t cheap but are extremely well made. Only gripe is the patterns are kinda boring this season. I have a fun floral print on mine, but it looks like it’s discontinued. 

• I got a big beautiful diaper bag by Fawn Design and am happy with it. I wanted something that I would like the look of regardless of its purpose as a diaper bag to help me feel good as a new mama. I find it functionally great too that it can be a backpack or shoulder bag and there's a good amount of room in there and internal/external pocket options.
  • https://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Morgan-Diaper-Backpack/dp/B0794VX768/ref=asc_df_B0794VX768/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241981043006&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9709907788827190178&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031634&hvtargid=pla-489921147326&psc=1

I LOVE my diaper bag for my son and plan on still using it. We mostly just leave it in my car now with all the diaper changing necessities and a change of clothes. But having a backpack instead of a big bag to carry around was very convenient. 17 months later and it’s still in great shape! 
  • I have WAY too many diaper bags. We tend to gravitate to the jujube Be Right Back, because my husband likes the backpack style. We’ve been able to pack for 3 in diapers in that one. 
    We’ve used a BFF as well. It worked well for 1 kid, but got a little snug with 2 under 2. 
    I have a leather bag too that’s more tote style, but I’m probably going to use it more for work, because it gets heavy when packed for the kids. 
  • We have the JuJuBe Be Prepared which looks like it’s not sold anymore. We started out with a different JuJuBe (the helix I think? And hated it). I wanted that brand because they are machine washable but then we never needed to do any more than a wipe down! Honestly the thing I got the most use out of was the “Be Quick” which is a wristlet with enough room for a few diapers, a pack of wipes, cream, etc. If I was just running into Target or whatever I could just throw the wristlet into my purse and not have to worry about 2 bags. 

DH also bought me a Coach diaper bag as a gift at some point that’s just a large tote and I didn’t use it much because I was afraid of messing it up which is dumb. So this time around I think I’m going to be fancy and just primarily use that and kind of have it be my purse too. 

You kind of figure out what works for you and your lifestyle, so just get what you like and don’t be afraid to throw in the towel and buy something else once the baby comes if it’s not working for you. 
  • https://tacticalbabygear.com/collections/diaper-bags/products/deuce-3-0-tactical-diaper-bag?variant=39445286912090
    This was my diaper bag for my first. They have revamped it since I bought mine and I'm looking at getting the new one. I can shove so much in it and it's durable as all get out. It also comes with stroller straps and is still comfy to shoulder wear. We also have the backpack with various add ons that is our toy/pool bag. 
  • This is a real FTM question - can I use a regular backpack as my diaper bag?  Would it just be missing some extra interior pockets? 
  • @sandy5693 I didn’t like having a bunch of pockets so IMO that would work perfectly. Especially if you & YH are both using it, a bunch of pockets means that you either have to both remember what goes in what pocket or just never be able to find anything. 
  • @sandy5693 you can absolutely just use a regular backpack.i would just get a probable changing pad that will hold a quick change of everything and toss that in. I used a purse more often than not with my first but used large diaper bags more when I had more kids. I carry first aid kits, EpiPen, Benadryl, snacks and more snacks, extra clothes for everyone. At one point I had two in diapers and then newly potty trained so I had extra clothes for all. I do actually keep emergency kits for everyone in the car just in case. I also keep extra clothes for me in case I get spit up on or breast milk leaks every where or a poopsplosion happens while baby wearing. I'm always very prepared down to extra underwear and shoes for everyone. 
  • @bows22 that's exactly what I've been thinking...Thank you!
  • I have the backpack style but I rarely use it. I generally just put two nappies folded inside a change pad with whites abs that’s it. Everything else isn’t that necessary. 
  • Thank you @krysnicole1022 - this will be my first, but I totally see things changing as hopefully I add more to the mix!  I am also a woman who likes to be prepared.
  • @sandy5693 honestly keeping a stocked changing pad pouch and then a backpack stocked in the car is probably sufficient. I've had to fully change infant clothes more than once so I typically like to have extras of everything. Right now I just have a small purse because we've been diaper free for over a year and with Covid stuff we haven't really gone anywhere. I usually keep an emergency kit in the trunk. I'm that person. 🤣🤦‍♀️
  • @krysnicole1022 I totally understand! I don't own a car and just with me & my husband I'm usually carrying a big backpack around (I am celiac and he is Type 1 diabetic so snacks upon snacks and medicine).  I have to strategically decide what's making it in this bag come October...lol
  • In-laws got us this one for my husband's bday.
    https://www.amazon.com/Columbia-Summit-Rush-Backpack-Diaper/dp/B07BR4GXWZ
    I like the layout and I look forward to using it. 
  • rcgwrcgw member
    We bought the Paperclip Willow on an awesome mother's day sale. It fits both me (5'9") and giant husband (6'4" with the broadest shoulders) well which is the big consideration for everything we buy. Paperclip has really great options, BuyBuyBaby let's you use your 20% off coupons on them; but if you sign up for the text/email promos from the company's website they often send 20 or 25% off alerts. 
    Papercliplife.com
  • I've been looking at the paperclip. I like AJ Buckley and that's his brand. My husband wants a backpack for zoo trips. 
  • ficheyfichey member
    The paperclip looks so sleek! Will definitely add it to my sales watch! I went with the Dagne Dover Indi and it just came in. Husband and I are both tall and it fits us really well. Looks like it should be nice as a general travel bag after we don't need it as a diaper bag anymore. 
  • My husband has requested a backpack that looks like a normal backpack for zoo trips and such. Yesterday he had to haul around my very pretty gray/silver messenger bag full of food at the zoo. He said never again. 🤣 Since there is no way I'm carrying anything around the zoo or hiking besides a half gallon of water I'm looking at the Columbia hiking/diaper bag for him. The reviews are mostly positive but we won't need it THAT much.