Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Postpartum Depression after Miscarriage

I had recurrent miscarriage on March 8th. First miscarriage was in January and I didn't even know! No symptoms, not really any depression other than crying the first couple of days, but then we moved on and started trying again. After this second miscarriage, I was ROCKED with a severe panic attack, throughout the weeks I also had anxiety attacks, lost my appetite, crying spells, light headedness.... now, 2 months later, I'm feeling intense sadness and dread (I went through postpartum depression with both my previous kids, they are now 10 and 12). Feels exactly the same as it did then; nothing is enjoyable, I can't eat, I dread the evening coming, then I sleep and dread the morning coming. I have so much support and my kids are great but I feel sad for NO REASON and I can't even enjoy them or eat at the family table -- I eat by myself in my room. I just want to be alone, in the comfort of my bed, but then I feel guilty for not being there for my kids. Can this be postpartum depression?? I have come a long way and have been able to start forcing myself to eat, to take my son to soccer practice (and I can even relax sometimes while watching him) It gets worse at night, the sadness.  I'm not still grieving the loss of my baby- I was only 5 weeks when I miscarried. Why am I depressed and sad??? Is this normal?

Re: Postpartum Depression after Miscarriage

• I'm sorry for your losses.  RPL is awful.  The depression that can follow can be terrible, and you can get PTSD from it.  I'd honestly seek out some therapy if you can.  I needed 'happy pills' after mine as well, as I didn't want to anything.  I didn't want to eat or sleep or anything.
    *TW All the Loss* #BitterHagPartyOf1

October 2015 - 1st MC.  7-8 weeks along. Suspected molar PG, but luckily just a MMC.

June 2016 - 2nd MC: 4-5 weeks CP

September 2016 - 3rd MC: 4-5 weeks CP

RE 1: ALL the testing - 'unexplained'  "Yinz can do IVF or try on your own"

Feb 2017 - 4th MC: 6 weeks

RE 2: More tests. Still 'unexplained.'  Called fat for an entire hour-long appointment, cried a lot

Feb 2019 - 5th MC: 6-7 weeks

IUD - March 2019-March 2023

RE 3:  Repeat all the tests. Hoping to try IVF.

• I’m so so sorry. I relate to so much of what you’ve said. After my first loss I tried to move through it quickly, and after the second loss I am a complete wreck and have been for months. I have recently started therapy because I just could not face feeling that way any longer, and it’s been so helpful already. I hope you are in a situation where you can get some help and support from a professional. I know it’s hard with a house full of kids, but they have telehealth options that are convenient and usually at least somewhat affordable. I really hope that things get better for you soon. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you for your replies. Yes, I have a therapist and have started doing acupuncture. It is helping but I still feel sad most days. How long did it last for any of you?
  • That’s great that you’re already doing therapy and acupuncture. Making that investment in yourself will definitely help over time, if not right away. I am sure that everyone has their own timeline for healing in this situation. For me, it’s been 3.5 months since my D&C and I am just starting to emerge from the depression and feel more like myself. Time, therapy, prioritizing sleep, and regular exercise have all helped. I hope some brighter days are coming your way really soon.