January 2023 Moms
Options

I don't know what to think anymore

on Monday I had an ultrasound no baby just the gestational sac. I didn't worry then on Wednesday night I got really bad pains I end up in the E.R. I was spotting. I got a scan but they couldn't see the baby. they checked my hcg they were 1309 they ask me to come back the next morning at 5 in the morning. my hcg went up to 1480. but the doctor still believe I had a miscarriage. I don't know what to think anymore.

Re: I don't know what to think anymore

• Options
    I’m sorry to hear this. Do you know how far along you are? Sounds like you might have a blighted ovum. It’s when the fetus itself didn’t grow, but the placenta did. The placenta is what gives off hCG, so it’s not surprising your hCG still went up. My last IVF transfer, I had a good rise in hCG but my first US at 6w5d showed just an empty sac. Waited one week for another ultrasound, and it was still empty. I went off all my meds and was able to miscarry naturally 3 days later. Just a heads up, you will likely feel/see your gestational sac fall out if you miscarry naturally. If you find this might upset you, you may want to ask for a D&C.