1st Trimester

High BMI issues?

I didn't know my BMI until I had a call with a midwife and she asked. Apparently I'm close to morbidly obese?? I walk a few kilometers per day plus a bit of lifting and while I enjoy some unhealthy foods, I have been eating much better since I got a positive test (I'm 5 weeks)

Has anyone dealt with prejudice/issues from OBGYN or midwife, and were their concerns founded or did things go OK?

Re: High BMI issues?

• I haven’t dealt with prejudice but I am plus size as well. My size has been brought up in previous pregnancies in regards to how much weight I should gain during my pregnancy but not really for any other reason. Could you request a different doc if she made you uncomfortable about your size?
  • According to BMI I am obese, which you would never think if you looked at me. I have had issues getting pregnant for years, OBGYN would try to make me lose weight first and foremost, which was very hard for me. I don't eat like over the top, normal amounts and all kinds of stuff not just unhealthy. I had the feeling that my weight and fertility issues were hormonal in nature, but she suggested dieting first before doing any tests on possible infertility. So I'd say she was pretty prejudice, especially for a person that wasn't so slim either... Then I ditched her and went straight to a fertility clinic, where they started testing me immediately and as it turned out my entire hormonal system was completely messed up, hence the weight gain and what not. None of them ever mentioned my weight though, after having gotten successfully pregnant with hormonal treatments and IVF the fertility doctor let me go and I found a new OBGYN, who I am also going to deliver with. He has over 30 years of experience, not once did he mention my weight so far. When I ask him how much sport or movement I should be doing throughout the day he said to just do what I need to and feel like doing and when I start having shorter breath or getting tired, to just stop whatever I'm doing. He said to eat whatever I feel like eating, no need to continuously look out for anything, just to not overeat since I tend to get nauseous in my pregnancy. I definitely feel like this first doctor cost me a lot of time and frankly money for visits with her, just for her to tell me "well, let's continue trying to lose that weight first". Sure weight can hinder your pregnancy success for a month or two maybe, but not for years, clearly there are other issues at hand then. I really recommend changing the doc if they "bully" you for your weight, unless you weight like 300 pounds, obviously that is a very unhealthy amount, but you know what I mean.
  • Loading the player...
  • I am obese and on my 2nd pregnancy. 250 lbs on a 5’5 frame and way heavier than when I was in my 20s. My doctor has never ever told me to lose weight or shamed me. Once you become pregnant you don’t want to lose a ton of weight. Keep walking. Do your best to eat healthy foods in with your cravings. You will be fine. Get a new doctor if this one makes you uncomfortable