January 2023 Moms
Options

Pregnancy Books

Hi everyone! First-time mom here. I know there are so many different "week by week" books and I have zero idea where to start! Any good books you recommend for pregnancy? or starting early on to read?

Re: Pregnancy Books

• Options
    It’s not a “week by week” book, but I love Ina May’s “Guide to Childbirth.” It does focus on having a med-free delivery, but I think it’s good for any first-time birthing person to read. It just gave me a lot of confidence in my body. And everyone should “plan” for a med-free birth in case their pain interventions don’t work or don’t have time to get it.
  • Options
    L1C4galL1C4gal member
    @daffodil_shoe as someone whose epidural didn’t work the last time around  :#, I wholeheartedly second that recommendation! I didn’t really plan for a med-free possibility…I will this time!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @L1C4gal so sorry to hear! I work in L&D and I see this happen too often.
  • Options
    @daffodil_shoe i have that on my list! My friend said I can read her copy
  • Options
    Reviving this thread! We just finished:

Expecting Better by Emily Oster. She does a wonderful job summarizing real data from academic medical studies to better inform decision-making. It’s broken down by trimesters. 

Real Food for Pregnancy by Lily Nichols. It’s a great guide to what nutrients you want and how to get it. Also incredibly well-sourced.
  • Options
    @r_kenn99 thank you for these!! I have the Emily Oster one, but I have added the Real Food for Pregnancy. I truly appreciate it!
  • Options
    I am also a first timer and have been loving "Bumpin'...A Modern Guide to Pregnancy" by Leslie Schrock. It takes you from pre-pregnancy through post partum and is written in a very accessible and relatable way.