TTC After a Loss
Options

This is breaking my heart :(

Hello all!

I am new here.

I suffered a MMC at what is believed to be 6/7 weeks at the end of March. I chose to wait and see if I MC naturally rather than going for medical management. On the 6th April I miscarried and lost a lot of blood. It was traumatic as most of you ladies know but it was a complete miscarriage and no retained products.

I was still having fainter positive tests 3 weeks on, so I had my HCG bloods tested Friday, which came back at 8.2.
I then experienced some spotting, which was strange and the gynaecology nurse said to take a digital pregnancy test just to make sure this wasn’t a new pregnancy. This test came back “pregnant 1-2” I was GOBSMACKED.
I went back today for repeat bloods, only to be told my levels were now under 5, and they consider this level negative for pregnancy.

I feel so stupid to have got a little glimmer of hope when I saw those words on the digital test. It feels so unfair that this has happened to me after everything else I’ve been through the last month.

What I’d like to know is, has anyone else ever had a false positive from a digital test?! As everything I read about them it’s like it’s almost impossible to have one!

Thankyou

J x

Re: This is breaking my heart :(

• Options
    @mama190 I'm sorry for your loss.  They tell you not to try for a new PG before the HCG level for your MC has gone below 5 (considered not-pregnant).  That's because if you don't track it back down, you won't be able to know if the HCG in your system is from the previous PG or the new PG, and the only way to tell would be to get HCG beta blood draws and see if it tracks up or down.  (some tests will BFP anything over 5.  I think digis are one of them?)  MANY women either don't listen to their doctor's advice or they misunderstood the doctor's advice, and they have unprotected sex too soon post-MC.  The nurse probably assumed that's what you did, which is why she told you to take a sensitive test. Since you went back for bloodwork after that and it was below 5, those numbers and that test sound definitely from your old MC.  

Spotting can occur for weeks after your MC.  It can happen a lot longer if your PG was more advanced and/or if you take a long time for your HCG levels to drop. This is what it sounds like happened to you.  Your nurse definitely should have asked you if you had been attempting PG.  If you were not, and she saw your beta numbers were dropping, they should never have had you take such a triggering test.  But honestly, even OB-GYN nurses are NOT good at MC and loss.  It's super frustrating.
    *TW All the Loss* #BitterHagPartyOf1

October 2015 - 1st MC.  7-8 weeks along. Suspected molar PG, but luckily just a MMC.

June 2016 - 2nd MC: 4-5 weeks CP

September 2016 - 3rd MC: 4-5 weeks CP

RE 1: ALL the testing - 'unexplained'  "Yinz can do IVF or try on your own"

Feb 2017 - 4th MC: 6 weeks

RE 2: More tests. Still 'unexplained.'  Called fat for an entire hour-long appointment, cried a lot

Feb 2019 - 5th MC: 6-7 weeks

IUD - March 2019-March 2023

RE 3:  Repeat all the tests. Hoping to try IVF.