3rd Trimester
Options

What does the midwife mean when she asks about discharge?

I’m 36 weeks and at every appointment they ask me if I’ve had any abnormal discharge. I haven’t noticed anything I would really consider abnormal, but honestly what is normal anymore???

Basically, what do they mean by abnormal discharge? Amount? Consistency? Color?

I have an appointment in the morning so I’ll ask for clarification from them. I just wanted to see how y’all interpret the question, too. 

Re: What does the midwife mean when she asks about discharge?

• Options
    I would say abnormal would be any of those things. A sudden change in what you’re used to. It’s normal to have increased discharge in pregnancy but it shouldn’t be smelly or be yellow/green. As you get closer to delivery it will change a bit depending on what your cervix is doing. Anything that’s different than normal discharge is worth mentioning
  • Options
    greyl said:
    I would say abnormal would be any of those things. A sudden change in what you’re used to. It’s normal to have increased discharge in pregnancy but it shouldn’t be smelly or be yellow/green. As you get closer to delivery it will change a bit depending on what your cervix is doing. Anything that’s different than normal discharge is worth mentioning
    Yes, this. Anything clear/creamy/watery/stretchy, even when it’s more than you usually have is fine. Basically, if it’s abnormal when not pregnant, it’d be abnormal pregnant, too.