December 2022 Moms
Options

First Prenatal Appointment

Hi everyone! I was wondering when everyone is going in for their first prenatal appointment?

I called on Friday to schedule mine and my OB said I will just do a phone visit at 9 weeks as my first appointment? I feel like that isn’t right haha so I’m hoping to see what other people are scheduling to see if it is the norm. This is my first pregnancy and I feel so nervous about something going wrong.

Re: First Prenatal Appointment

• Options
    I requested a virtual appt last week so we could discuss an early U/S (I'm advanced maternal age and had a MC in Dec). We then scheduled my first in person when I'm 10+3 because we'll be more likely to be able to hear heart tones over Doppler. With my 1st, my initial appt was 9 weeks. It was too early to hear the heart so they let me pop in 2 weeks later for a listen and we heard the heart beat at 11 weeks. It was very reassuring. I don't think it's unreasonable for you to ask to be able to stop in after 10 weeks for a listen. Other than that, everything can be done over the phone initially :)

• Options
    My first appointment is 4-28 and I'll be 8 weeks exactly based off my LMP. I'm thankful it'll be in the office. Hopefully we'll get an ultrasound. I didn't think to ask while I was scheduling it. They did mention it'll be a 2- 2.5 hour appointment so to me there's plenty of time to get a quick look at baby😂
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My first in person appointment + ultrasound is scheduled for 10 weeks! Next week (6 weeks) I’ll have a phone appointment to start things off. It definitely feels far away right now, but I’m excited for the first ultrasound to be when the baby is strawberry-sized and big enough to easily check out. 😁
  • Options
    My first in-person appointment and ultrasound is 4/25 when I'll be 7w5d. I saw my first two kids closer to 5 weeks because I didn't know the timing with them. 

I've already had a phone appointment for the basics and I scheduled another phone appointment for Monday to go over some more specific things.  I already had to declare my pregnancy at work so I would be taken off rad and chemo drug work in my lab. 
  • Options
    My first appointment is 4/26 and I’ll be 8w5d. I’ll be getting an ultrasound too. With my first pregnancy it was around 8 weeks too but I didn’t get an ultrasound. Very excited to get one on my first appointment this time around!
  • Options
    I’m an IVF mama with a history of miscarriage, so my first ultrasound is scheduled for this Monday at 5weeks3days. They’re honestly just more stressful this early in my opinion. My doctor said it really just depends on your risk factors and situation how early they schedule. You could always call a second OB though!
  • Options
    My first OB prenatal visit is at 8 weeks, but no ultrasound just an initial visit. But because I had an IUI through a fertility clinic, the clinic offered a ultrasound at 6w4d and 8w. Excited about that because I had 2 early losses last year so this will give me peace of mind.
  • Options
    My first appointment is also April 28 and I will also be 8 weeks exactly!
  • Options
    My first appointment+ultrasound is 4/18, and I will be 6w6d. I’m so excited but also a bit nervous they won’t be able to see what they need to at that point but fingers crossed! 

Are you going solo to your appointment or are you bringing your partner? Is that a thing for the first one or does dad really only come to later ones?
  • Options
    @bunniecee Pre pandemic by husband came with me to all ultrasounds... including the first one. Now, it probably is based on your medical office's policy at the time. As of today my husband is allowed to join me for our first ultrasound. 
  • Options
    My first visit on 04/18 is a virtual (phone) conversation to review family history and such. Second visit is scheduled for 05/12 and is an in-office visit to do an ultrasound. There aren’t any partner restrictions at the moment other than to mask up. 
  • Options
    My first appointment is at 8 weeks in early May. I wish it was sooner but I'm seeing my PCP before that so that's somewhat reassuring. I really boggles my mind that the appointments aren't made earlier. I know if something comes up I can go see them. My partner will be coming to the first appointment unless the policies change at the office. 
  • Options
    My first appointment was originally scheduled for April 25th but I switched to a different obgyn & have an appointment for blood work & possibly an ultrasound on April 19th now! I’ll be 6 weeks 3 days during the appointment so I am curious to see how it’ll go! 
  • Options
    Mine does an intake appointment on the phone before a regular appointment is scheduled. This is my third and they have done it like that for all of mine. Usually after they get all the info then they will schedule you for the first in person visit where you get the alien probe style ultrasound 😂
  • Options
    ghxstieghxstie member
    edited April 2022
    My first appointment + ultrasound is May 4th and I’ll be 9w2d. My mom is coming with me to my first one since my partner lives out of state, but also considering that she recommended my obgyn to me. Still not entirely sure if she is allowed inside with me because of the pandemic though so I’m a little nervous for that 😬
  • Options
    Mine is May 11th! I’ll be about 8 weeks!
  • Options
    they couldn’t get me in until 5/23 and i’ll be 12 weeks by then! i was so disappointed. i live in an area where you can wait months for a primary care appt though. just praying everything is okay in there till then. no phone appt either. this is my first. 
  • Options
    My first ultrasound is on the 11 also! I’ll be 10 weeks for mine.
  • Options
    Hi Mamas! So I just discovered an amazing place here in SoCal and I can’t imagine there are not more like it. It was called “unique ultrasound” it’s a boutique ultrasound store. 
    Now with that said just know going into it you are not and should not take medical advice persay. However they offered me a $29 first trimester scan!!! I was only 5w 6 days lol got impatient and this was transuterine, so I couldn’t see too much yet, but they even wanted me to come back in a week and a half for free of charge so they could get me a better scan when there’s more to see :) it was still nice to know everything looked as it should!
    I will definitely be a returning customer as they do beautiful 3D scans and offer all sorts of packages and they are surprisingly very reasonable.
    Just wanted to share for all the other impatient can’t wait to see mamas or some with very late first appointments. I would Yelp/google ultrasound by you, you maybe surprised what’s out there! I also walked in same day and was seems within 15minutes! Mind blown! 

• Options
    Late to the December 2022 group ( 🤗 ) but I scheduled with my OB/GYN as a first time pregnancy and the scheduling wait is 8 weeks for phone call into with nurse then 10 weeks for in-person meeting. I was so confused and discouraged as I thought it was standard to at least start blood work to check progesterone / HCG levels increase or maybe go through the basics. I’m going to keep the appointments for now but heavily looking into a smaller more focused facility.
  • Options
    My first is scheduled for 7 weeks 6 days in person. I’m so relieved it’s in person because i tend to rush through virtual appointments. Completely on me but I’m so glad to meet my doctor in person, esp as I have a new OB. 
  • Options
    My OB’s office does an ultrasound, which they call a “viability scan,” between 7 and 8w. I’ll be 7w2d for that. If all goes as planned, then you have your first actual appointment the following week.
  • Options
    I just scheduled my first apt last Wednesday and won’t be seen until 6/7… I will be 11.5! That seems crazy to me, but I’m ok with it since it’s my 3rd pregnancy. I would be very taken back if it were my first. I think COVID has affected a lot of medical offices and they are still working out some of those kinks/getting back to normal.