1st Trimester

Finding the Right OB

How are you all searching for the right OB for you? With so many of us holding off until after the first trimester to tell family/friends, how are you all searching for an OB? 

For those who have done this before, what would you suggest looking for? 

A part of me would love a OB that’s also a POC. But it’s not necessarily easy to find. Especially with all the news reports that pregnant POCs feel like some medical professions don’t acknowledge their needs. Ie. What happened with Serena Williams 

Re: Finding the Right OB

• It's my first time so I really didn't know what to do and might change doctors later. I used my health insurance to find a female doctor in network. (I really don't want a male doctor.Trauma=trust issues.)

I was told I could have this doctor for the first 2 visits and then have to rotate & see all their doctors. I wanted to establish a relationship and feel safe. After I tell my family, I'll ask my sisters for recommendations. 
  • @paperbirdlady, unfortunately with many practices, you do have the option to rotate or meet other providers that are in the office.  When it comes time for delivery, you get who is on call. 

Unless, you go a midwife, or a very small practice that is not part of a larger medical group,, that tends to be common practice.  

@lovejasreed, Google reviews are decent to look at.  Your doctor office should be able to refer you to someone.  

• Loading the player...
  • I worked back by figuring out which hospital I wanted to give birth at and saw who was affiliated with the hospital that also was on my insurance. I'm lucky enough to live in an area with a few different hospitals but they each offered slightly different approaches. Narrowing that down helped me a lot. 

I also hit up a couple of friends for their insight. I told them that we were thinking about having kids but to please not assume we are pregnant or anything until we tell them. They've been great about honoring that. 
  • Did anyone travel far to go to the OB they wanted? I had the same GYN that is also OB for my whole adult life and love her, but I would now have to travel an hour or more to see her. So I'm wondering if anyone has found it to not be a big deal to travel far during previous pregnancies or found it much more manageable to have a doctor that is close by.
  • Towards the end of my pregnancy (most of the last trimester), I was going in at least once a week.  Some of my friends who had complications in their pregnancy had to go in multiple times a week.  It also became more uncomfortable to travel long distances in the car the bigger I became.  Just something to think about.  I know having an OB you trust is important, so you just need to weigh those different pros/cons.  We did chose to deliver at a hospital that was 45 minutes away, but in theory that isn't a trip you make a bunch of times.
  • @mhdmass3232 I chose my OB because she was close to my office for work since my appointments would all be during work days so towards the end it didn't feel so daunting to go. With my second baby, we were WFH with the pandemic so I had to drive 45-60 minutes for my appointments and THAT was annoying, especially for the short in between checkups where it was basically a "hey hows it going, lets check weight heart beat and blood pressure and get you outta here."
    The hospital was a block from my doctor's office,, but I ended up being induced after a doctor's appointment so I didn't have to make the drive again lol
  • I go to a CNM (Certified Nurse Midwife) and she delivers at the local hospital. There are three at our medical center and all are fabulous. Midwives tend to give more personalized care and I feel are more invested in their patients wants and needs.
  • I don’t have an OB, I have midwives. I went with a practice that I was familiar with, and I’ve been so pleased. 

Fwiw, if you’re low risk, I would consider an OOH birth with midwives. Smaller practices, which tends towards more individualized care.