1st Trimester

Pregnant with PCOS

I am 4 weeks pregnant with mild PCOS, I was on metformin 500 mg a day for 2 weeks and got pregnant immediately. All PCOS mammas , did you stopped metformin after getting pregnant? I am worried of miscarriage because the risk is higher in PCOS, even though mine is mild with normal testosterone levels

Re: Pregnant with PCOS

• Hi! I have PCOS and I’ve been on metformin 1500mg for almost a year. I’ll be 8 weeks pregnant tomorrow. The metformin will help keep your blood sugar steady, which is important. Having PCOS and being insulin resistant often go hand in hand. Insulin resistance is sometimes referred to as a pre-diabetic state. This means your blood sugar is often higher or more erratic than it would be otherwise, which can lead to a higher rate of miscarriage so staying on the metformin can help avoid that in some cases. Definitely talk to your doctor before you make any changes. I’m staying on mine and hoping it helps me avoid gestational diabetes, which I was borderline for during my last pregnancy without it.
  • My doctor advised me to stay on it for the first trimester and than stop. But I'm not sure if I have insulin restistance since they are not even sure if I have PCOS, because my testosterone is always normal and I have always ovulated each month on my own, but the cycles were 35-40 days long. When I took metformin my cycle became shorter and I got pregnant. My only concern, do you think it will affect baby's health later in life? How were your pregnancies with PCOS, did u have healthy babies?
    Thank you for the response
  • Loading the player...
  • My doctor advised me to stay on it for the first trimester and than stop. But I'm not sure if I have insulin restistance since they are not even sure if I have PCOS, because my testosterone is always normal and I have always ovulated each month on my own, but the cycles were 35-40 days long. When I took metformin my cycle became shorter and I got pregnant. My only concern, do you think it will affect baby's health later in life? How were your pregnancies with PCOS, did u have healthy babies?
    Thank you for the response
  • It seems odd that they are would ask you to stop if it seemed to be helping but maybe it’s so they can gauge your tolerance for the glucose testing? If you started taking it and your cycle length changed in response, it’s a pretty solid indicator that you have at least some mild insulin resistance going on. In theory, the metformin is acting like a stabilizer and currently making your body perform like it is supposed to, which would be beneficial to your baby now and in the future, rather than exposing them to either sudden or sustained highs or lows. My son was very healthy in spite of coming early due to being on steroids for an autoimmune disorder, which also made my blood sugar much harder to control. He’s almost 10 yrs old and doing great. This time around, the dr I spoke with said we’ll be checking my glucose tolerance much earlier since I was borderline for gestational diabetes last time.
  • That's great to know that metformin doesn't interact negatively with the baby's health, that was my biggest concern, since drugs are made of chemicals and I was suspicious to expose the baby to metformin. But a lot of people are saying they had healthy pregnancies with metformin so I'm gonna continue taking it. I hope our pregnancies go smoothly till the end, with term deliveries. Good luck😄😄
  • I hope so too! It’s normal to suddenly feel extra aware of everything you’re putting into your body right now, I know I am for sure. Good luck!